View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

La Femme reissue

T J Honeysuckle  said about 7 years ago  or at  11:04AM on Thursday, July 19 2007 in music news

Hmm, no mention of keyboard player Rob Furst..

Aztec Music is very excited to be reissuing Melbourne new/wave punk band La Femme’s debut self titled album from 1980. It is also the first time we have included a video clip on our reissue CD’s.
La Femme had a short-lived career, but played constantly, supporting the likes of The Ramones, Boys Next Door, INXS, Cold Chisel just to name a few.
Release Date : 26th July, 2007
*Stay Tuned for details of a special Melbourne re-launch gig coming up soon *

Melbourne’s La Femme were a fascinating meld of late Seventies influences: punk, new wave, glam and hard rock. Their 1979 debut single Chelsea Kids is one of the all-time classic Australian singles and their only LP: La Femme, is arguably one of the best to come out Melbourne’s late 1970’s punk/new wave scene (which included Models and The Boys Next Door). It contains many fine examples of the band’s confident, swaggering glam-infused punk-metal sound. Lead singer Chane Chane was a charismatic, hyperactive front man, a refreshing personality with a strong audience rapport. Guitarist Brett Walker was a real live flashy guitar hero for the times, coming on like a punk-metal Mick Ronson by pealing off large chunks of dense power riffing when other guitarists were still going plink-plonk. The thuggish rhythm section of Peter Kidd and Graham Schiavello played it mean and hard, providing the relentless, driving beat.
La Femme could well have made it into the big league if they’d wanted but swimming against the commercial tide seemed to be their raison d’être. In many ways they were their own worst enemies. An unwillingness to play the pop star game and the serious drug addiction, among other things, perhaps ended up compromising the band’s drive. For an inner-city band with so much potential, in the end they really did give it away. They toured constantly, built up a huge support base on the suburban pub circuit, scored several prestigious support gigs, made three appearances on Countdown (one of the first punk/new wave/alternative bands to do so), released one of the great Melbourne punk albums and yet they never rose above being a cult attraction.
Aztec Music’s deluxe reissue has been digitally remastered from the original tapes. It contains 8 bonus tracks: the single edit of Chelsea Kids, their 2 non-LP B-sides (covers of I Wanna Be Your Man and All Day And All Of The Night), 2 marvelously punky demo’s from 1978, 3 demo’s from 1979 (that you would swear was part of the NWOBHM movement), PLUS their rare film clip of Chelsea Kids that had been lost for the past 28 years (we just found it in time!).

VoxFuzz  said about 7 years ago:

Ooooh, cool. Onya TJ. Always a fountain of information.

littlearch  said about 7 years ago:

sister's first gig

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

looks like the gig may be at ding dong, they've got la femme listed in the upcoming shows bit.

sister  said about 7 years ago:

yes. Ritchies Nightspot in Preston. Also the first time I smoked pot.

I've got a single.

really they were pretty crappy.

littlearch  said about 7 years ago:

actually i've got the single

mmmmm. well our turntable is out of action so I spose it's better off in your hands for the time being.

hwct  said about 7 years ago:

go chane chane!

Barman  said about 7 years ago:

Chealsea Kidfs was a good single. The demos sound like they might be interesting. I always regarded these guys as glams dressed as punks.

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

any issue date for lethal weapons?

indeed. chanes a good frontman.

damselfly  said about 7 years ago:

i have la femme on vinyl and on IPOD. i also have lethal weapons on vinyl. i had a major crush on brett walker. i will never forget the time chane chane was on stage and said, ''has anyone seen that slut cristina'' his girlfriend and the name of a song.

btw brett already had a baby at this stage, so that kid would be late 20's / close to 30. last i heard brett was a alcohol counsellor born again catholic. i sometimes see him at northland.

T J Honeysuckle  said about 7 years ago:

any issue date for lethal weapons?

Soon, nony, soon. That one's a re-reissue.

jeez when I think how many copies of lethal weapons i used to see sitting in the record racks.

thenewmeatloaf  said about 7 years ago:

will the Lethal Weapons reissue be on white vinyl? or a white CD even?

TimChuma  said about 7 years ago:

Haven't seen them for yonks, I remember they played a few gigs in 2005.

They did indeed, Tim, and Chane is often to be seen around town with the lovely Dolores San Miguel.

they run HUSH HUSH too.

the lovely dolores ran the crystal / seaview ballroom.

and the exford wintergarden room for a while last year.

View Comments 20 to 95

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

yeah I expected as much. I'll get to the next one.

Photos later, slept in until 12 today for once - ouch! Hush Hush burlesque comes recommended in particular.

buffytufnel  said about 7 years ago:

I had to leave, I was doorlist freeloading with a plus one, I got there with my fiery redheaded angry chick sidekick, but they'd pulled my plus one, and so I couldn't leave her crying in the street now could I? So I saw half of the first song, and it sounded all right before whisking Miss D off to the Butraider party. Glad the gig went well though, next time for me it will have to be...

Here TJ:

Posting photos of the Hush Hush dancers would make this thread NSFW.

Oh dear.

nice pix.

You reckon?

ya get the general idea.

Who's that prick with Kev Lobotomy?

that shirt doesn't fit Kev real well - it's making the guy on the end of the drawing look fat!

the one with the big hair, I mean, not the shortarse.....

band_friend  said about 6 years ago:

**I went to see his wife. She was always so friendly towards me at their gigs. And what a stunner. I think evey guy was in love with her and that really pissed Chane off big time. As usual he was with a bimbo. You don't deserve her Chane.

Hope his wife doesn't see this but saw him snogging one of his dancers. Oh and Chane after all these years of singing how come you still sound like crap?

T J Honeysuckle  said about 6 years ago:

What the hell is this?
Your whole profile and all three posts you've mande are deveoted to attacking Chane.
What gives?

I know him very well and he is not the nice person he seems. He is also a father but has never paid child support for his daughter for her whole life. He gets off on beating up people, mainly women and using women. All he is after is there money. I know several who he has promised the world to and all he does is get's off on it. There is more I could write. Look at the comment about Christine. Calling her a slut. He thinks all women are sluts and he will be nice to your face and then run you into the ground behind your back.

VoxFuzz  said about 6 years ago:

Relationships Australia

Time and place, dude.

HEB  said about 2 years ago:

Him: Me Sioux
Her: I would too if I had a line like that!

FFS! The internet isn't hard. Get your own unused name

Carbie  said about 1 year ago:

Bruce Milne says ''For a while there, La Femme were probably the most popular punk band in Melbourne.'' Charismatic and still hyperactive front man Chane Chane and his group were real punks from the tough western suburbs. Last night they reformed to play an ultra rare performance at A Day By The Green Presented By Cold Harbour #10 at The Bowlo and this totally BLEW ME AWAY! Chelsea Girls by La Femme! ㋡

https://vimeo.com/63973476

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.