View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Victoria Rocks!!

The_Suits  said about 7 years ago  or at  3:54PM on Wednesday, July 25 2007 in industry

It does. Trust me.

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 7 years ago:

victoooooooooria

victoooooooooria

MickeyPratt  said about 7 years ago:

I had to get up at 7.30 for that shit...

The_Suits  said about 7 years ago:

See

the power of 666  said about 7 years ago:

don't make me cancel my flight...

T J Honeysuckle  said about 7 years ago:

Has anyone applied for one of those grants yet?

The_Suits  said about 7 years ago:

cancel your flight and pack your car to come and live in victoria? yeah i would too!

frenk  said about 7 years ago:

New South Wales stones.

man.

empra  said about 7 years ago:

bump for socks

socks  said about 7 years ago:

Ahhh... yes. Ta. I searched 'funding', 'grant'... didn't quite get around to searching the actual thing.

empra  said about 7 years ago:

'tis fab to hear. more peeps should be excited.

Block  said about 4 years ago:

Someone was asking about this the other day- goalie?
Anyway, this year's grants have been announced: read 'em and weep

anonymous  said about 4 years ago:

dan kelly got money for promo?

Ouch!
Smartartists Management (Fitzroy) $22,111
To assist with the release of the second single from the current Midnight Juggernauts album, Midnight Juggernauts 2, in Australia and the United States through the band's label, Siberia, and Inertia Distribution.

Your taxes at work.

wonder if any of temper traps money was used for them to leave victoria.

Jesus.
Ryan, Leigh (Footscray) $5,000
Assistance to develop, design and construct a complete web presence, consisting of multiple profile pages and a multi-layered peer-to-peer networking and promotional strategy, supported by a video clip release through television outlets and online digital avenues such as YouTube Myspace and Vimeo.

What's the success metric for this one, I wonder? And what's it actually FOR?

Popboomerang  said about 4 years ago:

Go Georgia!!!!!!

kellyclarksonisgold  said about 4 years ago:

22 grand??

HAHA OMFUCKINGGOD 22 GRAND that's like 10- 10,000 litre water tanks. MAN WITH THAT MUCH WATER I'd HAVE POWER

applys

Goal attack  said about 4 years ago:

weeps

Actually that reminds me I need to call them to get feedback, apparently they're good with that stuff.

I eagerly await Dan Kelly's ''online viral marketing''

What's the success metric for this one, I wonder? And what's it actually FOR?

switter, for when you really need to swit!

I eagerly await Dan Kelly's ''online viral marketing''

didn't help him win m+n's readers poll.

View Comments 20 to 42

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

liamsnice  said about 4 years ago:

I was rejected, very dissapointing indeed.

57mercury  said about 4 years ago:

liamsnice said 7 hours ago:
I was rejected, very dissapointing indeed.

WTF? Generally I'm opposed to the stamp of approval for specific artists by the govnmnt - but what does need to be addressed by govmnt funding/legislation is the structures from which culture eminates. Are these structures benefiting large multinationals or the cultural production of the community? Places like the Old Bar are vastly more important for the cultural life of Victoria than the making of one record.

So if liamsnice application had anything to do with venue related stuff then it is completely fucked that it got rejected.

Then again my view is that if you can't get funded then you're doing something right.

kuroneko  said about 4 years ago:

Erm, probably not for the Old Bar. The dude runs a label and plays in bands too. Just sayin'.

57mercury  said about 4 years ago:

Cool, still kudos to the dude - in that case his bands and label are absolutely doing something right/fantastic/interesting if they didn't get the gvmnt stamp of approval and should be damn proud of the grant rejection. (unless if it was smeared with faeces and calling the committee cunts ... then again that is still kinda impressive ...)

Sister Morphine  said about 3 years ago:

The Brumby Government announced $24.7 million today for Victoria Rocks:

http://www.alpvictoria.com.au/news-events-media/news/labor-pledges-$24-7-million-to-keep-victoria’s-mus/

Sister Morphine  said about 3 years ago:

Media release from ALP site:

Labor pledges $24.7 million to keep Victoria’s music industry rocking
Posted: Saturday, 13 November 2010 | By: John Brumby

Victoria’s thriving music industry will rock even more under a future Brumby Labor Government, with $24.7 million to be injected into a new contemporary music headquarters and expansions of Victoria Rocks and FreeZACentral to support more up and coming musicians.

Making the announcement today alongside two-time ARIA Hall of Fame inductee Rick Grossman (Divinyls/Hoodoo Gurus) and two-time ARIA Award-winning singer/songwriter Monique Brumby, Premier John Brumby said shining a spotlight on music was a key part of Labor’s package for the arts.

“This big boost for music will further cement Victoria’s reputation as Australia’s home of live music and ensure we look after our established musicians and continue to foster new ones,” Mr Brumby said.

“Melbourne’s energetic and vibrant music scene is a result of both the passion of local musicians and the huge appetite of local audiences for live music.

“We recognise the huge contribution contemporary music makes to this state and that is why we’ve been funding programs that help singers, songwriters and musicians for years.

“Labor is the only party that has consistently committed to Victoria’s music industry and through these new initiatives, our support will be stronger than ever before.”

Mr Brumby said the centrepiece of this announcement was $12 million for a new Melbourne headquarters for contemporary music.

“Our $12 million Australian Music HQ will be to music what the Arts Centre is to the performing arts, and what the Wheeler Centre is to books, writing and ideas,” he said.

“Modelled on the Wheeler Centre, our new Australian Music HQ will provide a home for Music Victoria, and key sector organisations, such as the Australian Independent Records Labels Association, The Push and FreeZA.

“It will also provide a performance space and online resources to support musicians across the State.

“It will be a vital hub for Victorian musicians and its establishment recognises the important cultural and economic contribution the music sector makes to Victoria.”

Mr Brumby said a further $10 million would be provided to expand the successful Victoria Rocks program and $2.68 million to continue the highly popular FReeZACentral program for budding young musicians.

Minister for the Arts Peter Batchelor said the $10 million to expand Labor’s highly successful Victoria Rocks program would provide new instruments of support for musicians.

“Victoria Rocks has helped launch or further the careers of music acts like Dan Sultan and The Temper Trap, and is highly popular with musicians,” Mr Batchelor said.

“Under this expansion, our new Music Passport initiative will open the door for Victorian musicians and managers to take on the international music scene, helping them to target international music markets and create sustainable international careers.

“This initiative will include trade delegations, international marketing and promotional campaigns and export-ready skills and training services.

“There will also be new Quick Response grants of up to $1500 to enable musicians to take up opportunities that come out of the blue, Stepping Stone grants for Indigenous musicians and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and four more years of FReeZACentral for next generation music industry professionals.”

Mr Batchelor said the program also included $1 million to establish a code of best practice for music venues, designed to make our great live music venues even better.

“This will include one-off grants of up to $10,000 for venues to improve areas such a soundproofing, acoustics and Pas, and small event grants of up to $1500,” he said.

“We are also increasing our support of the ‘Australasian World Music Expo’ and the ‘Face the Music’ conference and, in recognition of Victoria’s great strength in songwriting, we will establish a new event or series of events that celebrate and promote the art of songwriting.

“Victoria, under a Brumby Labor Government, will rock on like never before.''

Jazzy  said about 3 years ago:

Victoria needs to stop TRYING to be like SYDNEY, it's NEVER going to HAPPEN!!!

FrankieTeardrop  said about 3 years ago:

Good shit. Let's just hope that the Libs don't get in. This would be a MAJOR boost for music in Victoria.

Interesting FT.

This must be the way they bribe populations these days.

Yep.

Wow. That is fucked up!

Yeah, right.

logs out

:-(

THIS is why I have no friends ^^^^^

elle-zo  said about 3 years ago:

I, for one, welcome our new Labour overlords.

TimChuma  said about 3 years ago:

Not gonna work, they're still getting a caning come this election.

Goal attack  said about 3 years ago:

these dudes just sent out a survey to past applicants, hopefully it means a date for the next round is gonna be announced soon. I WANT THE MONEYS PUT THEM ON ME

TimRogersFucksKids  said about 3 years ago:

I was once in a Melbourne-based Hanoi Rocks cover and called ''Victoria Rocks''

People used to show up to our gigs and chant; ''Victoria Rocks Sucks!''

It hurt.

MusicVictoria  said about 3 years ago:

The Arts Victoria 'Victoria Rocks' grants program has been rebranded as the Contemporary and Live Music Development program.

There will be two free info sessions for interested musicians and managers to help demystify the application process and answer questions about the program.

The first session is on Tuesday 26th July from 6.00-8.00pm in Brunswick. Also in attendance at this session will be representatives from APRA and The Seed Fund to talk about their grants programs and answer questions. Due to space restrictions, priority will be given to Music Victoria members but we'll try and fit in as many people as we can. RSVP to info@musicvictoria.com.au.

The second session about the new Arts Victoria Contemporary and Live Music Development program will be held on Wednesday 3rd August at the Arts Victoria offices at Southbank. RSVPs to musicgrants@dpc.vic.gov.au.

More info at the Music Victoria website and the Arts Victoria site.

Goal attack  said about 3 years ago:

HUzzah! And for those who want to get the moneys on them, the closing date for the next round is:

5 September 2011 for projects starting on or after 1 January 2012

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.