View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Low - Things We Lost In The Fire

jimib  said about 7 years ago  or at  1:31PM on Wednesday, November 14 2007 in music

Firstly I only started using my account to post and I did a search for 'Low' but it's a fairly common word, so please don't get angry...

Who is going to the East Brunswick Club to see them in January next year? Will you see them for the Things We Lost In The Fire - Don't Look Back gig or the gig where they will be playing a mix of songs from all albums.

I'd love to go to both but at the moment short for cash. Hopefully they don't sell out too quick

paulie  said about 7 years ago:

last time i saw low they were a bit of a downer.

djbollocks  said about 7 years ago:

I haven't heard this album so I'm not sure if I should see them perform it live. I'm a big fan of Secret Name, how does it compare to that one?

bergholt  said about 7 years ago:

great album. i'm definitely going to see this played all the way through. not completely sure if i need to see the other one as well.

AlterEgo  said about 7 years ago:

this is my favorite low album. i'm a bit pissy that they're here the weekend i'm in tasmania. fuckers.

paulie  said about 7 years ago:

i prefer 'curtain hits the cast' personally, but 'things we lost..' seems to be regarded as the best low record.

michael_horse  said about 7 years ago:

i reckon they should play 'a lifetime of temporary relief'

who's up for a 4 hour gig ?

Psyclops  said about 7 years ago:

really? I thought ''Curtain'' was an established fave.

Me - I love ''Secret Name'' best. Once listened to it on repeat whilst coming back from a weekend visit to my mate in Belingen via Countrylink train. Dropped half a tab of acid and took that album in big time.

PS - booked tix for Sydney Fest show yesterday. Not for the DLB gig - I like to be surprised.

SGH  said about 7 years ago:

Totally their best album, but I'm wary of these reminisce-type gigs. Living off your past isn't cool. Rolling Stones fans might not agree.

Living off your past isn't cool.

Hence The Things We Lost In The Fire

• thinggabowddit.

steveholt  said about 7 years ago:

In the past haven't these concerts been the album first then an encore of them playing other songs.

jimib  said about 7 years ago:

steveholt, maybe youre right
i think ill prob just go to the things we lost, and hope they play some other songs at the end. too many bands coming out next year, i cant afford them all

anok  said about 7 years ago:

i prefer 'curtain hits the cast' personally

same. i don't dig this 'un as much.

svelteslacks  said about 7 years ago:

too many bands coming out next year, i cant afford them all

and from what i heard today, we will all be dead flat poor until at least may.

this summer is fucking outstanding for international acts.

anok  said about 7 years ago:

tease!

i've been like an excited puppy chasing my tail all day :)

flobs  said about 7 years ago:

give us a hint, sveltes....

no can do sorry.

percolator  said about 7 years ago:

i didnt really get into TWLITF either. weird. hey, does anyone remember if they had cds on sale last time they toured?

socks  said about 7 years ago:

You know what we need? Pavement coming out and doing one of these tours. Or The Fall. Or Stereolab.

I find this Low album really boring and moany. Bloody slow-core!

View Comments 20 to 316

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

mrmagoo  said about 1 year ago:

i've been listening to the Great Destroyer again lately, for me a brilliant album

i know it is oft-maligned by Low purists, but i really love them pushing the tempo up a bit and getting into it, especially some of the basslines and drums

Things We Lost... still stands as my favourite, but I reckon Great Destroyer might be something that might appeal to people who have had trouble with Low's quieter moments

electricsound  said about 1 year ago:

i got into them when 'long division' came out, and got it & hope at the same time. save for 'words' i have always thought 'hope' to be the weakest point in their catalogue, with the possible exception of 'songs for a dead pilot'. just imo of course

my 1st choice for a starting point would be curtain hits the cast or long division

GrantleyBuffalo  said about 1 year ago:

my 1st choice for a starting point would be curtain hits the cast or long division

I concur. Although, I'd be interested to see how someone would go by working backwards chronologically... Wanna be a social experiment, sloth?

slothman  said about 1 year ago:

thanks, guys. will get into it. maybe have to wait until this thread gets bumped again while i've got a bit more time. but thanks again.

very tempting indeed, grantley. guide me freely (meaning musically and expense wise)

Start with The Invisible Way (2013) and work back from there! :)

Let us know if/when the interest wanes...

okay. might go for a youtube dig a bit later and start from the end.

should i also listen to them in reverse track order?

Not reverse order... in reverse.

i get it now. link please?

silvertone  said about 1 year ago:

mrmagoo said 7 hours ago: they recently performed a one song set, a 27 min version of Do you Know How to Waltz? the reaction from fans is pretty amazing!

Fuck there's some hilarious and ignorant people in world!

This guy, who prefaces the below comment with ''They're still a bunch of fucking assholes'' tries to justify his crying like a baby about it, claiming they didn't even play a show at all...

''That's funny. They're probably responding to me directly, since I posted over there ''They very literally do owe us.'' Whatever the case, the fact is, I'm done with them - they were the band I was specifically looking forward to explore more deeply, and I was totally planning to pick up some of their CDs at the show. My guess is that the vast majority of the audience felt the same way. Those who defended the performance were, to a one, Low fans who probably own all their stuff already. It seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, and that they're perfectly okay with that. Whatever. At least everyone else brought it.''

okay, mate (i'm talking about the original poster not you, silvertone) you've made it very clear why you didn't enjoy the show. i wasn't there, and like you would like to know more about low. but a band with that much experience playing a 27 minute drone sounds WAY more appealing than the few minutes it's taken me to read what you think and respond to it. you wanna just shut up for a second and let the people who are into it be into it, please?

but we can be mates if you want, silvertone. but not that guy, i was trying too hard to be nice.

Incremental  said about 1 year ago:

For a first Low album, I'd recommend Secret Name. It's the best mix of what Low can do. It's got the minimalist stuff from the first couple of records, some lush stuff like what would come after, some experimental stuff like from Drums & Guns and Songs For A Dead Pilot, it sounds great thanks to Albini and it has its fair share of classic songs (Will The Night, Starfire, Weight of Water, Lion/Lamb).

My favourites are Trust and The Curtain Hits The Cast, but they're all awesome. Even the Christmas record (One Special Gift would be the bleakest Christmas song ever).

ooooooh, albini! i look forward to getting to that one!

Yeah, that's not a bad call. Do that, and I can stop manually backmasking all these CDs.

ocelotl  said about 1 year ago:

Follow-up interview - Alan Sparhawk explains.

A user comment from this:
''It sure didn't translate to the radio. I thought I was listening to the soundtrack for David Lynch's Eraserhead, without any dialog or 20 minutes of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.''

What is wrong with people? The reaction to this thing is absurd, this is meant to be an ''alternative'' show, right? The set was short, granted, but the work was gorgeous, so far from Eraserhead or MMM.

well my computer is being a bit of a cnt so my low pouch is still empty. i'll see how we go tomorrow. stay tuned, it could be just as exciting as someone posting their thoughts about a band on the internet!

silvertone  said about 1 year ago:

ocelotl said 33 minutes ago: What is wrong with people? The reaction to this thing is absurd, this is meant to be an ''alternative'' show, right?

Totally. I read an interview where Alan says that they were asked to cut their 50 minute set to a 30 minute set due to the weather issues. What better thing to do than something unique like that. Far out people are stoopid...

mrmagoo  said about 1 year ago:

i have finally listened to the performance in question, fantastic I reckon!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.