View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Coffee

medicineman  said about 8 years ago  or at  4:03PM on Tuesday, June 20 2006 in stupidity

There needs to be a coffee thread for us addicts...

though i've been off the coffee since the beginning of may - i relented on the weekend and had one saturday afternoon and it was the greatest thing i've ever had in my life.

wow.

charlesincharge  said about 8 years ago:

how did you fill the void?

i drink about two litres of pepsi max everyday to keep me on top form.

angelic_layer  said about 8 years ago:

I actually got riva the other day..usually its international roast. I don't know..I'm sick of it..I need to start drinking earl grey again.

brown maca  said about 8 years ago:

ice coffee maate the one with the cow on the carton tastes best cheaper too no lattes for me poofta drink maate

dudewolf  said about 8 years ago:

when i grow up, i'm going to marry coffee

holyrattlesnakes  said about 8 years ago:

I just made my own. strong enough to shoot your eyeballs into Iraq and kill civilians. it's fucking fantastic.

littlearch  said about 8 years ago:

i had organic coffee with organic milk at the market this morning

mmmmmmmm

medicineman  said about 8 years ago:

i have no idea how i've survived no coffee - um danedlion tea and ECCO (ceral beverage)

but yeah that taste of coffee after a long absence.... mmmm

yo HRS - you are making me jealous - that's my kinda coffee!

svelteslacks  said about 8 years ago:

sounds like you might be sick of it cause you're choosing shit coffee a_l.

the power of 666  said about 8 years ago:

I only drink coffee from Courtney Love's tittiebags.

the power of 666  said about 8 years ago:

dandelion tea in that brown plastic jar is pretty boss.

elmacho  said about 8 years ago:

I wish i could buy jugs of latte...

freaksandgeeks  said about 8 years ago:

i much prefer tea, i dont like the taste of coffee that much. Great for a kick though!

your right svelteslacks..its shit..

i need to get the good stuff. but I feel guilty if I spend money on it.

any suggestions??

Benji  said about 8 years ago:

I have all the coffee-addict paraphernalia, the good machine, the good blend, the latte cups from france, and the thermometer used to ensure my micro-foam is just so.

Does this make me a bad person?

that's the one 6er - it has helped me with my coffee exile.... and it tastes pretty great too. especially with a little bit of honey.

svelteslacks  said about 8 years ago:

i don't have a machine, i am a plunger girl.
you can get them real cheap.

and then try some out... depends what you like. there are stacks of decent organic coffee's you can get for about $12.

that will last ages.

no benji - it makes you my coffee hero.. you should talk to Sheik - he is the same coffee fanantic

I'm using genovese or the Atomica coffees, always with organic milk though (tends to froth better), but some of the org coffees tend to be 'soft' and don't grind so well.

Anyone found any other ripper blends?

what about those little steel perculators? are they any good? Cos I got one of them..

whohoo, we share the same axe too medicineman makes medicineman a m&n friend

View Comments 20 to 2037

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

flukazoid  said about 8 months ago:

NEED TO KNOW MORE ASAP PLS

And c'mon, ''only good thing'' about cold drip? Cold drip is great! I brought my tower into the office. It's time consuming but once you have a litre of the stuff in the fridge, life is very sweet indeed.

tugboat  said about 8 months ago:

Not the only good thing. I love cold drip.

''The **good thing about cold dripper is you can also **use it to serve Absinthe :-D

flukazoid  said about 8 months ago:

Ah, apologies. Read that way too hastily.

anorakhighst  said about 8 months ago:

I recently got one of these. It's a hand-operated espresso machine (which is to say, you pour boiling water into a chamber at the top and push down on the levers to force the water through the grounds). It's not exactly the same as a machine-made espresso, but is pretty close, and certainly good enough for use in an office where the alternative is bean-to-cup machine coffee that tastes vaguely of vacuum cleaner dust.

carwashhair  said about 8 months ago:

I'm on your team, anorak. Been using my presso (old name) for a double espresso each morning for near on 3 years now, and it delivers a shot as good or better than 95% of cafes around once you get to grips on how it works. It probably took me about 3 months of experimenting before I consistently produced an excellent espresso.

Grind fresh for each shot, warm the chamber and group handle before using and always overfill the chamber for extra pressure and you should be getting pretty decent crema. It's a great hands-on experience, plus you can take it camping!!

The only downside I'm finding is that in order to get the pressure needed for a good shot, it's a bit of a bean monster. I'd estimate maybe 20-22 grams per double shot.

anorakhighst  said about 8 months ago:

I think the ROK's portafilter is about the same capacity as my Gaggia Classic's (maybe even slightly smaller), and produces a double shot from this.

black wasp!  said about 8 months ago:

Asking for a friend – if anyone knows a superstar barista looking for full time work (at a unique organisation, excellent conditions, lots of perks), can they please PM me. Looking for someone with plenty of industry experience.

tugboat  said about 4 months ago:

We have our own shit coffee chains already, m8.

rawr  said about 4 months ago:

i knew someone who worked for starbucks marketing when they first came to australia (2000ish?), and basically they had done no research and had no idea of the existing coffee culture, so it's no surprise they never really took off.

also, i can't say for sure but i get the impression that they're not that big in other english speaking countries like new zealand, and say, england?

anonymous  said about 4 months ago:

The dudes who own 7-11 have bought starbucks here, expect it to come back, whether it succeeds second time is another thing.

it is heartening to know that an industry largely consisting of small businesses can hold off a corporate giant though

The dudes who own 7-11 have bought starbucks here, expect it to come back, whether it
succeeds second time is another thing.

frappucino machine next to the krispy kreme case?

but yeah i don't doubt they'll be in your face somehow sometime soon.

i work in a place where the only espresso based coffee is starbucks. at first i hated myself for going there, but now...now i don't even know what's good anymore.

gabbo  said about 4 months ago:

After spending last 2 weeks in Canada and US, I can see why they exist here. Coffee in a lot of the smaller places is inconsistent in quality, and the market still, even in the 'good' places order ridiculously large and stupid insipid coffees. Starbucks tap into that here. It's even bigger in Canada than it is in the US.

Gloria Jeans, Coffee Club, and Hudson's in Australia though fill the gap though too much. They are the bridge between small business goodness, and Starbucks crap. I can't see Starbucks working in Australia without the new owners overcapitalising and risking it on a ten to twenty year play. May work if expansion of Gloria Jeans halts, or willing new franchisees get a better offer via Starbucks instead.

illywhacker  said about 4 months ago:

also, i can't say for sure but i get the impression that they're not that big in other english speaking countries like new zealand, and say, england?

From the article:

At the moment, Starbucks has a little more than one store per million residents in Australia, toward the bottom end for OECD economies where the chain is present, and far fewer than the number of stores it has, on a per capita basis, in comparable markets such as Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the US.

Aus: 1.04, NZ: 5.94, UK: 12.24

Sunnyboyz  said about 4 months ago:

i just got used to just drinking shit coffee while in the states. I couldn't justify spending $3+ on a mediocre espresso coffee when everything else was much cheaper. There were delis selling the percolated stuff for 50 cents, so it was a no brainer. A butter bagel and coffee for $1.50 every morning.

That attitude saved me money when I had none to spend.

carwashhair  said about 4 months ago:

hmm, guess I'd bend for percolated when its fiddy cents. Still prefer espresso for 70 euro cents through Portugal/Spain tho

That attitude saved me money when I had none to spend.

going 2 years strong with that attitude.

Aus: 1.04, NZ: 5.94, UK: 12.24

oops, i stand corrected

can someone remind me next time i'm hating life and everything in it that i just need a coffee? thanks in advance.

fzchk  said about 3 months ago:

Just bought myself a Hario V60 for use at work to save on buying coffees in the city. Feels good man [I'm having heart palpitations].

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.