View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Large Hadron Collider

paulie  said about 6 years ago  or at  10:43AM on Saturday, January 5 2008 in chat

SGH  said about 6 years ago:

paulie  said about 6 years ago:

OMG THIS SHIT IS SERIOUS

Urquhart Bluff  said about 6 years ago:

Nah I'll wait for the DVD. When it's in the weekly section thanks.

the cosmos is going to implode and you're talking about DVDs?

Urquhart Bluff  said about 6 years ago:

It's a movie. Get over it.

nyx  said about 6 years ago:

Can someone please explain this? this is the second time I have seen that picture this week.

we are all going to die, due to a massive nuclear chain reaction, starting when the large hadron collider they're building in switzerland is brought online in may this year.

this is all because of meddling scientists and their so-called quest for knowledge.

Lucydiamond  said about 6 years ago:

Oh noes!

I hope it's after May 7th, which is my birthday!

*pauses long enough for chats to make notes in their diaries*

RoastOxCrisps  said about 6 years ago:

the LHC will pwn n00bz

nyx  said about 6 years ago:

quest for knowledge requires killing us all dead in May, okay got it.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 6 years ago:

could some physicist besides BADALEX (and paulie's amateur dabblings) confirm or deny the imminent apocalypse? can we get elaine out of retirement?

__v  said about 6 years ago:

it's quite easy to misread ''hadron'', isn't it?

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

Safety concerns

As with previous particle accelerators, people inside the physics community [10] and in the media[11][12] have voiced concern that the LHC or similar types of experiments might trigger one of several theoretical disasters capable of destroying the Earth. A study was carried out by physicists at CERN and other recognised institutes to examine these issues[13].

[edit] Black holes

Though the standard model predicts that LHC energies are far too low to create black holes, some non-standard theories lower the requirements, and CERN themselves have published articles that the LHC could create micro black holes[14][15][16] [MBHs] at the rate of one per second. The primary cause for concern is that Hawking radiation, a postulated means by which any such black holes would dissipate before becoming dangerous, remains entirely theoretical. In academia, the theory of Hawking radiation is considered plausible, but there remains considerable question of whether it is correct.[17]

CERN[18] and others[19] have pointed out that the probability of such events is extremely small. One argument for the safety of colliders such as the LHC states that if the Earth were in danger of any such fate, the Earth and Moon would have met that fate billions of years ago due to their constant bombardment from space by very high energy cosmic rays such as protons and other particles, which are millions of times more energetic than anything that could be produced by the LHC. However, simple Newtonian physics requires that opposite momentum collisions for colliders result in ''at rest'' MBHs[citation needed] , if they are created. This contrasts sharply with cosmic ray induced events from bombardment of the upper atmosphere, which would result in near-relativistic MBHs.[citation needed]

in summing up, we are all fucked.

froginasock  said about 6 years ago:

DON'T WANNA DIE!

dashes off to check with physicist buddy

TopherPlus  said about 6 years ago:

in summing up, we are all fucked.

What, when BA sees this thread and has a cataclysmic orgasm?

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough,

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And reolving at nine thousand miles an hour.
It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
'Round the sun that is the source of all our power.
Now the sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
Are moving at a million miles a day,
In the outer spiral arm, at fourteen thousand miles an hour,
Of a galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred million stars;
It's a hundred thousand light-years side to side;
It bulges in the middle sixteen thousand light-years thick,
But out by us it's just three thousand light-years wide.
We're thirty thousand light-years from Galactic Central Point,
We go 'round every two hundred million years;
And our galaxy itself is one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, that's the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

nicko_mcbrain  said about 6 years ago:

this is awesome! my birthday is late may.

way to go out. i know the worry is that it could fuck the whole planet, but who's up for a road trip to switzerland? it's BEAUTIFUL that time of year.

and might be your last chance to see.

these sorts of gigs always look better from the pit...

we will all be sucked towards switzerland at supermassive speeds, so no roadtrip will be necessary.

View Comments 20 to 661

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

tinyman  said about 2 years ago:

the question: what font to use for the biggest presentation of your career.

the answer: comic sans!

Hellzapoppin  said about 2 years ago:

I quit watching...I didnt understand a single word

If they'd stop moving the camera from the presentation to dudes in the crowd who look like a bemused by-product of Richard Dreyfuss & Jack Nance fucking, I'd have a bit more hope.

Coz  said about 2 years ago:

the question: what font to use for the biggest presentation of your career.

the answer: comic sans!

LOLZ!

I can't get a non-stuttering feed either - where can I stream at the lowest bandwidth?

wintertime  said about 2 years ago:

BREAKING NEWS FROM TWITTER ABOUT POTENTIALLY LARGEST SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY IN 100 YEARS:

ComicSans

Actionralf  said about 2 years ago:

someone who understands it should tell us what happened in layman's terms

DevilsAdvocaat  said about 2 years ago:

Having no prior understanding of the physics involved but I was sort of understanding the statistical analysis involved and from memory with a 95% confidence level that there is something between 115 - 138ish GeV (from memory) and special interest around the 126 GeV mark. Due to the resolution in this range they haven't been able to distinguish what's happening at this point of time.

So they are saying that from the previous seminar that they have improved the resolution to the above range where this is some interest around the 126 GeV mark. I could be missing the whole point of it but that's what my understanding of it.

flukazoid  said about 2 years ago:

Geeks shouldn't be the ones allowed to decide what constitutes a ''big'' news story. Way to raise and dash the hopes of the globe's population, geeks.

anonymous  said about 2 years ago:

scientists are 0 from 2 this year, remember that 'big' nasa story about life on another planet?

Ben  said about 2 years ago:

that NASA story was good!

What you talking about? There has not been one bad announcement. All scientific progress is good news.

(Almost. Maybe not announcement for new bioweapon or nuke warheads for under $1000.)

anonymous  said about 2 years ago:

what about the one about those european scientists who have made a ultra-mega-super virus?

that's not good.

Guess we can all be a bit selfish and self centered sometimes. Let us consider now and then what might be good from the point of view of the super-virus.

redeyerobbie  said about 2 years ago:

We know they are looking and it's seems obvious that they would be narrowing in.

It's getting a bit boy who cried wolf.

''Ladies and gentlemen, we've ripped the fabric of space time and created a time portal.
And here is my pet dinosaur.''

this better be the next announcement

Geeks shouldn't be the ones allowed to decide what constitutes a ''big'' news story. Way to raise and dash the hopes of the globe's population, geeks.

I'm pretty sure they didn't. Aside from the bad font choice, it was an entirely professional forum aimed at academics and scientists who would be interested in this. It wasn't a press conference.

It was the press who were banging on about how the higgs boson had been found, not the CERN scientists.

palin  said about 2 years ago:

big announcement happening. they've got it.

G.O.B.  said about 2 years ago:

Oh come on!

Ben  said about 2 years ago:

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.