View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Stephen King

Reverb  said about 6 years ago  or at  11:05AM on Monday, March 3 2008 in books

Lots of love for this author...

one thing disturbs me more than most, I just watched the bit in Green Mile when Delecroix is executed without the wet sponge... and i felt hardly anything. I was slightly repulsed, but where has this desensitisation come from?

Oh, and the Stand is rather excellent also.

nyx  said about 6 years ago:

Stephen King's Dark Tower series has been made into a comic series (graphic novel whatevs) that is seriously awesome.

Also I read Insomnia last year because I wanted something easy to get me back into reading again. It worked.

Yep.

drugshakehands  said about 6 years ago:

he's the best author, there is no other author who is as consistent or prolific. there are a few duds, but most of his work is mindblowing. far too hard to pick a favourite.

ProDelgado  said about 6 years ago:

Just watched the adaptation of The Mist...pretty fucked, to be honest...it's all rather amusing, plenty of tongue in cheek bits, a few jumpy bits...then has such a devastating ending! It's been a fair few years since I read the short story, but I'm sure it didn't end like this...

Speaking of endings to King stories, I always think that's the weakest thing he does, the end to each novel, it's as if he doesn't know where he's actually taking the characters. Oh, the other thing he does that annoys me is when he's gonna kill someone off, nine times out of ten the previous chapter ends with ''and that would be the last time they'd ever speak to each other'', or something along those lines.

michael_horse  said about 6 years ago:

i thought that ending was laughable and cliched, prodelgado

and a pretty cheap way to tug at heartstrings

and yeah, the short story ends as they drive off into the mist, not like that at all

ProDelgado  said about 6 years ago:

It didn't tug the heartstrings, just made me think it was canny harsh!

michael_horse  said about 6 years ago:

ok, tug heartstrings of those dimmer than ourselves

AlterEgo  said about 6 years ago:

yeah i felt sorry for the poor guy, but i wasn't about to have a cry. for some reason the whole thing just made me think of ''war of the worlds''.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 6 years ago:

he's the best author, there is no other author who is as consistent or prolific. there are a few duds, but most of his work is mindblowing. far too hard to pick a favourite.

this has got to be a joke.

he was my favourite author when i was about 18.

Casiopias  said about 6 years ago:

I last read one of his when I was about 20. The shining was good.

selected works  said about 6 years ago:

hackidy hackidy hack

Modi  said about 6 years ago:

18? Maybe I was 16 when I last read a book of his.

Yeah, total hack. I reckon you could easily mock up a story of his.

Small town in Maine. Regular Joes spooked by supernatural goings on.

Good old fashioned wholesome values save the day.

Oh, and Secret Window was the most predictable piece of crap I've sat through in ages.

he's shit. soon as I found lovecraft when I was 20 I was home. he made KIng look like an ametuer rip off guy - oh wait...yeah Bangor = Arkham

adamdmills  said about 6 years ago:

i was talking about him yesterday. i started reading his stuff when i was about twelve, and i'd stopped by the time i was 20.

the last thing i read was bag of bones, which surprisingly was fucking fantastic. a simple ghost story, more character-driven than his other books and a whole lot less formulaic.

i mean, horror writing isn't high art, so there's a reason he's so well regarded in the field.

nyx  said about 6 years ago:

Stephen King is Goosebumps for grown ups. Doesn't mean they aren't still fun.

Plus as mentioned above, the Dark Tower Comic adaptation is seriously awesome.

froginasock  said about 6 years ago:

meh, he's no Garth Marenghi

hahahahaha

Modi  said about 6 years ago:

Except when I was a kid, they didn't have Goosebumps, so I read Christine.

they had virginia Andrews flowers in the attic. but I ignored that. I bet some on this website didn't tho...!!!!

fethehellcat  said about 6 years ago:

I read Carrie when I was 17 and I liked it. I've never liked anything else he has done.

TopherPlus  said about 6 years ago:

Love his short stories. I think writing a short story is so underrated these days. Can read 1 or 2 on the train in the morning. They are generally much more varied than his novels.

And his novella's are also fantastic.

Its his full length novels that generally don't do it for me.

(Dark Tower was damn epic though. Loved it).

Godzilla  said about 6 years ago:

he's written quite a few since he retired and gave up writing

View Comments 20 to 55

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

moke  said about 1 year ago:

First episode of Under the Dome was pretty good, although it seems like they've changed some bits for no good reason. Hopefully they change the ending as Stephen King's weakness is his endings and Under the Dome's ending was fucked.

Haff  said about 1 year ago:

Second ep is losing me.

Seems a bit too cheesy. For example the radio station dude.

moribunderast  said about 1 year ago:

The guy playing Junior is totally wrong, as is the changes they've made to his storyline. I understand that for a network TV show the original plot for Junior was too dark but the replacement story is way hacky.

I loved Under The Dome so I really want this show to be good but I fear that a show that scripts it's teenage characters to say things like ''Man, now I'll never get to make out with Mila Kunis!'' is on a hiding to nothing.

Uh oh. Haven't watched the second episode yet. Slightly scared. Plus, I'm re-reading the book, which is blowing my mind again at how good it is. Keeping fingers crossed.

For fuck's sake. That episode of Under the Dome was horrid. I think, the most frustrating thing is that the original source material is so fantastic. Just makes this all the more frustrating. Terrible, terrible script. And, so far, none of the changes seem warranted in the slightest. Might give it one more episode.

GrantleyBuffalo  said about 1 year ago:

''Hey, look; some dude got cut in hal----- OOOH, A DOGGIE!''

GrantleyBuffalo  said about 1 year ago:

I lol'd at the journo snapping photos during the Fire At The Ol' Duke Place. So fucking dumb.

anok  said about 1 year ago:

So many amazing moments in episodes 2 & 3. The acting, writing and soundtrack is so 90s network TV and clumsy. It's kinda amazing and fun, as I have no investment in the book.

Worst King adaptation since The Langoliers?

And, I'm out. Life is too short to waste time watching this drivel. Yes, worst Stephen King adaption, ever.

mrmagoo  said about 1 year ago:

watched it all, my gosh!

slothman  said about 1 year ago:

does stephen kings kingdom hospital count? (worst adaptation BY stephen king?)

Godzilla  said about 1 year ago:

I notice he has a sequel to The Shining out. It's about the little kid , except he's now middle aged. King must write his stuff in real time.

moke  said about 9 months ago:

Started reading the Shining again, in preparation for reading the sequel. I always forget how completely bleak and depressing the Shining is, compared to the film. Jack comes across as being a really decent bloke in the book, who has a really horrible addiction, which he's trying his best to fix so he can be a better person for his family. Just makes the ending and his descent all the more sad.

ocelotl  said about 9 months ago:

I suppose this means the sequel (called Doctor Sleep, btw) will be filmed, thus probably a Shining remake, which can only suck hugely compared to Kubrick's, while making it ''the original Shining movie'' rather than the singular thing that it is. Fuck Hollywood.

slothman  said about 9 months ago:

stephen king himself made a tv movie version of the shining which is pretty unwatchable, so your precious kubrick movie can remain its own thing.

until you see that room 213 or whatever it's called

ocelotl  said about 9 months ago:

Tis true, and it's not like King hasn't had other dodgy adaptations. More the rule than the exception, I'd say.

Stephen King now appreciates Kubrick's version a lot more than when he did the mini-series. 1408 isn't too bad, but also not that good. Should've been left alone though, like most King adaptions.

Started Doctor Sleep yesterday. Apart from the awful title, it's really great so far. Feels like he just kept on writing after the Shining, without the thirty-five year pause.

mrmagoo  said about 4 months ago:

oh noes! the Dome is magnetic!!

this stupid show is back, and I am totally going to watch it

moribunderast  said about 4 months ago:

Haha, I loved the book but gave up on the show by the 2nd episode - it's terrible, even by Stephen King adaptation standards!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.