View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

peter hook...

astralwerkor  said about 7 years ago  or at  2:36PM on Wednesday, October 4 2006 in music

looks pretty old in photos from parklife on the jjj website. pretty old indeed.

PumpUpTheHam  said about 7 years ago:

that's because he is old

astralwerkor  said about 7 years ago:

really? jeez, i wouldnt have guessed it.... FFS, i was making the observation even given his age, he looks fairly past it.

Eple  said about 7 years ago:

he may be old but he's set was too much fun on Sunday.
Plenty of JD and NO.

Tango Whiskeyman  said about 7 years ago:

I laughed very loudly when reading about Andy Rourke (bass player in the smiths), recently teaming up with Peter Hook in a three piece bass group called "free bass". Very Spinal Tap. Don't know who the third bass player was.

Tango Whiskeyman  said about 7 years ago:

Just googled it and found the third member is mani from The Stone Roses. "It was just one drunken night and I floated the idea. And basically what gave me the most impetus was that everyone laughed! Three bass players on an album! Everyone absolutely pissed themselves" P. Hook. Perhaps my response is what they're going for!

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

There was a thread on ye olde M&N

New Order, Smiths And Stone Roses To Collaborate!

Well, sort of. New Order’s Peter Hook has revealed that the three bands’ respective bass player’s ‘Freebass’ project is now in progress. They’re just looking for a singer to fill some sizeable shoes…

Speaking to Filter magazine, Hook has spoken about his supergroup featuring himself, Mani (Stone Roses, Primal Scream) and Andy Rourke (The Smiths) all on bass. “It’s going to be a ‘live’,” Hook revealed. “The interesting thing about Freebass is that Mani and I are very much live-based. It seems obvious really that we’d get together. Whether that bodes trouble or not, I don’t know. It was just one drunken night and I floated the idea. And basically what gave me the most impetus was that everyone laughed. Three bass players on an album - Everyone absolutely pissed themselves. All of the songs - and they are songs at the moment minus vocals - they all have three basses. Mani does the low part, Andy Rourke in the middle and I do the high bit…it works out quite well.”

The New Order bass player went on to hint that it may not be long before the fruits of their labours may become public. Just as soon as they find a frontman, “We have about 19 ideas,” he continued, “Twelve of them are ready for vocals. We’ve had a problem finding a vocalist. I think the problem is that the three of us have such a pedigree of vocalist, that if we come out with someone that’s not good we’ll obviously be slated! You’ve got Ian Brown, bloody Bobby Gillespie, Ian Curtis, Bernard (Sumner) and Morrissey. Those are big shoes to fill, especially collectively. We want someone young with something to say. Someone new. We don’t to be some kind of rock supergroup for the sake of being a supergroup. Every time I see Pop Idol or X-Factor, I chuckle and think maybe we need to do this. [Call it] Miserable Factor. Let’s see who can get the most miserable single!”

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

Here's the full Peter Hook interview from Filter Magazine

luke  said about 4 years ago:

There's an add on messandnoise which says ''Peter Hook and Friends'' will be performing unknown pleasures across Australia in september.

timewaster  said about 4 years ago:

Phew. WHen I saw this thread, I thought he was dead.

Peter Hook's young. But he's fat and rock legends tend to die in their 60s

Texaco  said about 4 years ago:

...still wanna know who the ''friends'' are before I'd consider that Unknown Pleasures thing.

HEB  said about 4 years ago:

If it's anything like what he did in Manchester, he sings and his son plays bass.
Barney and Stephen are busy covering JD/NO with Bad Loo

Here are the details of the tour - tickets around $80

Manc show was £19.99 and this is what they played
At A Later Date
Warsaw
No Love Lost
Leaders Of Men
Failures
Digital
Glass

Disorder
Day Of The Lords
Candidate
Insight
New Dawn Fades
She's Lost Control
Wilderness
Interzone
I Remember Nothing

Transmission
Love Will Tear Us Apart

djbollocks  said about 4 years ago:

unless these are his friends I wouldn't be interested.

__v  said about 4 years ago:

to watch peter hook perform unknown pleasures YET NOT PLAY BASS is a singularly unappealing proposition

the joy division tracks played on the last NO tour will do me

pass

LaxCharisma  said about 4 years ago:

PEter Hook NOT playing bass...yeah...nah. I'm just watching NO doing JD songs from Reading in '98 at the moment. I think I'll happily leave it at that.

ocelotl  said about 4 years ago:

Fuckin' kidding... him playing bass is the only thing that made me think I might consider this.

__v  said about 4 years ago:

there is some excellent work happening along the cream->beige spectrum in that NO pic above

LaxCharisma  said about 4 years ago:

ocelotl said 4 minutes ago:
Fuckin' kidding... him playing bass is the only thing that made me think I might consider this.

Aww c'mon. I hear he has a really great personality. Hahahah...

zeroman  said about 4 years ago:

Seems kind of an insult to Ian's memory to have the fucking bass player singing.

Texaco  said about 4 years ago:

Yeah, New Order doing Love Will Tear Us Apart at BDO will do me. This wreeks of money-grabbing to me. No fucking way thank you!

devines  said about 4 years ago:

hmm yeah, not sold on it.

View Comments 20 to 102

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Ralph Malph  said about 2 years ago:

He is coming back to rape Closer- Palace Theatre 12th April. And for $300, you can meet him and tell him he is a cunt to his face.

After the success of his 2010 Unknown Pleasures 30th Anniversary Tour, Joy Division bassist, PETER HOOK, will return to Australia in 2012 with his band THE LIGHT, to play the classic album CLOSER, in full, sequentially and in track order, with shows in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. The tour is a celebration of the legacy of the music of Joy Division who have become one of the most revered bands in musical history and their influence remains strong with many bands and fans world

PLATINUM VIP MEET & GREET PACKAGE
Peter Hook PLATINUM VIP Meet & Greet Package is $299 and includes:
- 1 x Ticket
- VIP entry at the venue (no need to queue)
- Exclusive Meet & Greet with Peter Hook
- Official Commemorative Meet and Greet Laminate.
(This is your entry into the Meet and Greet and will be posted to you 2 weeks before the event date. Please note you will need to bring your ticket for entry to the show.)
*Limited edition A3 thick card stock tour poster (not for sale to the public)
- 5 items signed
- Exclusive limited edition tour t-shirt (not for sale to the public)

Mentalist  said about 2 years ago:

What an arse!

HEB  said about 2 years ago:

FFS - stop it!!
It wasn't even a real album

losgauchos  said about 2 years ago:

Now he can start massacring the early New Order catalogue...or he could just rejoin his old band mates and stick to bass.

Ralph Malph  said about 2 years ago:

Tonight at New Order show Barney said ''Bass player can't play bass, good repacement huh''

Jacky_Chiles  said about 2 years ago:

Is he going to play the 10 minute version of Sister Ray?

I'm glad Joy Division only made to albums. Although, he'll probably do Warsaw next.....

Jacky_Chiles  said about 2 years ago:

*two albums....

mrmagoo  said about 2 years ago:

http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/62385

He said: ''I've watched so-called 'New Order' playing in Auckland and Tom Chapman is miming along to my bass on tape. 'Round & Round'. Have a look at it. He's got his fingers on the low and you can hear my high bass in the background. So he's miming. It's the Milli Vanilli of bass.''

Asked if he was annoyed by this, he said: ''It's a fantastic compliment, but I best get on to my intellectual property lawyer and see if it's something you're allowed to do. I do think that miming to my bass is pretty much the ultimate insult. Still, check it out, there I am lurking in the background like a ghost.''

electricsound  said about 2 years ago:

what absolute twaddle

Kit  said about 2 years ago:

what excellent trolling

hyperfuzz  said about 2 years ago:

They also said in response to Hook's comments: ''People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones or their recent fake DJing YouTube hit might need to be recalled. Keep watching.''

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Now he can start massacring the early New Order catalogue...or he could just rejoin his old band mates and stick to bass.

Orrrr he could go for maximum piss-off and record/perform as the alternate-universe Joy Division that would have been if Ian had stayed around. He can make up whole new albums! Without those other fuckers!

Kit  said about 2 years ago:

He already did that, put a couple of ''newly-completed'' JD songs on a The Light EP

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Hmm see this visionary is way ahead of me.

HEB  said about 2 years ago:

He not coming - at least for now

electricsound  said about 2 years ago:

oh noes

mirkheim  said about 2 years ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/05/peter-hook-joy-division-memoir

Wondering how long it is before he legally changes his name to ''joy division''

pfinger18  said about 1 year ago:

spaceman1  said about 1 year ago:

Because that sunkist ad wasn't selling out. Dickhead.

zombo  said about 1 year ago:

yeah i really don't get why these past-it band guys love to bring the press into all their feuds. surely they could just ring up and call each other a wanker and not involve the entire world

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.