View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Wake In Fright

shaun  said about 6 years ago  or at  3:17PM on Saturday, December 20 2008 in books

I just finished reading the book for the second time, one of my all time favourites. Have been scouring the net for a download of the film but only encounter torrent sites you have to pay for.

Anyone know how I can obtain a copy on DVD? anyone wanna make me a copy if they have it?

Anyway, appreciate the book and film here.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 6 years ago:

I've read the book. I found it to be not bad, if a little slight.

The only bit of the film I've seen is on those compilation of Australian movies. So I've seen the dude get abused for not having a drink, and the car overturning when they're out hunting roos a HUNDRED TIMES.

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

yeah i saw the film at uni but i'd really like to see it again. it's on youtube but it's awfully slow and choppy

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

Surely it's only a matter of time before it gets released on DVD.

LEXDEV  said about 6 years ago:

It is indeed one of the great Australian novels of all time. The movie's pretty cool, too (it's often known as ''Outback'', its UK/US title). Bill Collins used to play the movie all the time in the '80s, believe it or not, and it's one of his fave Aussie flicks, even though every time he played it, he said he'd get more irate phone calls than he would for any other film he played, as viewers HATED the way it portrayed outback Australia. I've got a DVD copy here burnt from a videocassette which Mark Harwood made for me before he skipped to the UK. I believe that a master copy of the film was located somewhere overseas earlier in the year and that it's currently in the process of being remastered for a deluxe DVD reissue. More people need to see the movie and (especially) read the book!

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

Yeah, the book is definitely a must. I read somewhere that the relocated master copy had a 'to be destroyed' sticker on it just before it was salvaged! Close call.

mswahili  said about 5 years ago:

The entire movie's on youtube [part 1 here]

I've always managed to miss screenings, so that's the only place I've ever watched it.

versionsporadic  said about 5 years ago:

The film is terrifying

elle-zo  said about 5 years ago:

where is HEB? I'm sure he has something to add. Book and film definitely both brilliant!

FrankieTeardrop  said about 5 years ago:

I haven't seen the movie in years, but remember it as absolutely brilliant. It might seem masochistic, but I'm going to watch it on youtube this evening. Cheers, mswahili!

mrb  said about 5 years ago:

Love the book..saw the flick about ten years back at the cinema...a great film...from the dude who made first blood....I reckon it's got aussie outback culture down pat....classic stuff.

FrankieTeardrop  said about 5 years ago:

Fuck. It's still one of the best Australian films ever made, even in blur-o-vision on youtube. The roo hunting scenes are probably not for sensitive types, but as an examination of macho outback culture, alcoholism, boredom and alienation it can't really be beaten. Why doesn't Australia produce movies like this any more? Self-congratulatory, watered-down crap like Baz Luhrman's 'Australia' is an insult to viewers' intelligence in comparison.

lovely  said about 5 years ago:

I remember reading the book and seeing the film a long time ago. The imagery is so powerful that I have never forgotten it.

shaun  said about 5 years ago:

Fuck. It's still one of the best Australian films ever made, even in blur-o-vision on youtube.

Haha, yeah I watched it again this afternoon on youtube as well. Incredible stuff.

Why doesn't Australia produce movies like this any more?

Closest modern equivalent i can think of is The Boys. same sense of menace, unforgettable images. think suburbia instead of the outback though.

It's almost like it took an outsider (candian) to see us, or a part of us, in a truthful light, he captured that super macho world perfectly. reminded me of being a kid on trips to outback W.A in 70's 80's.

Oh, yeah, flim vic used to have a copy, you ust have to be a member to get a copy.

feralmedia  said about 5 years ago:

I wake in fright.

I only slept three hours!

I think I have the flu!

I go back to sleep for a bit.

djbollocks  said about 5 years ago:

National Library in Canberra has a 16mm copy (I used to go in there when I was a student and watch movies on their old steenbeck).

that's a great way to watch a film...you sort of feel it..

djbollocks  said about 5 years ago:

Sure is. I saw lots of hard to find films that way; Lindsay Anderson's if lots of Roman Polanski's short films, and of course Wake in Fright. The only drawback was I had to get up and get a librarian to assist me every time a reel ended.

andyr  said about 5 years ago:

i read this today, on shaun's recommendation, in one sitting.

fucking awesome.

View Comments 20 to 94

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

puretokyo  said about 5 years ago:

fucking super

HeteroAsFuck  said about 5 years ago:

I just scored the DVD from the RMIT Film archive.

Gotta get me a DVD burner quicksmart....

juicenewton*  said about 5 years ago:

Oh ffs!

What kind of clueless cockhead goes to a distant country town and asks where she can get a good latte?

Modi  said about 5 years ago:

I cringe now when I recall the first things I asked the (uniformly excellent) secretarial staff: where were the good lattes, and why wasn't there a bookstore? It took six months to recover from the impression that I was judging their town and found it lacking.

Um... you were. What a dickhead.

nyx  said about 5 years ago:

Great great film.

also best anti-drinking film I've ever seen. yuck.

MissAustralia2003  said about 5 years ago:

showing in-flight on Qantas this month, and appears uncut including the kangaroo fight scenes. I'm a bit disturbed that people enroute to Australia aboard the flying kangaroo may watch Wake in Fright.....

djblxs  said about 5 years ago:

Collins' intros were great. His passion for the films he loved (even when they were godawful) was always inspiring stuff.

and I love the background music too

Chief Bromden  said about 5 years ago:

that is really quite strange, that they would show that movie on Australia bound flights. i'd be turning around...

I'm glad someone else thinks it's strange

anonymous  said about 5 years ago:

dvd is now out.

knomadix  said about 4 years ago:

restored rip looks sweet.

did you know this director also went on to do the first Rambo film ''First Blood'' and 'weekend at bernies'??

andyr  said about 4 years ago:

no i did not know that.

rigid  said about 4 years ago:

i knew that.

SpringRain  said about 4 years ago:

Just watched this. I could really go for some roo meat and beers

en la noche  said about 4 years ago:

you don't like the yabba?

chimpassgimp666  said about 3 years ago:

Just watched the film after reading the book many years ago. What a fucken film. Donald Pleasance is really creepy and the kangaroo scene is very distrurbing.

national_highway_31  said about 3 years ago:

lead essay in july's issue of the monthly, but also available online here

''Australians are intensely uncomfortable with being served themselves straight up, neat, on the rocks''. So writes Kate Jennings in her essay ''Home Truths'', on Ted Kotcheff's newly restored film Wake in Fright. The New York-based Australian writer shows that expats are often our shrewdest cultural commentators.

Yes this essay (relinked) was the best thing The Monthly ever published.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.