View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

do you wear shoes inside

plastic  said about 5 years ago  or at  11:20PM on Friday, March 20 2009 in chat

guess I have been nagged incessantly by a certain person to take shoes off inside, I am always reluctant to do so, but usually end up acquiescing. find it strange because generally at home I dont bother taking them off & even lie in bed with them on sometimes... I know it is a custom in japan to remove them ... guess if you have new carpet it is understandable, but I wondering if this normal to insist if you are not asian or middle eastern background ... you dont have to answer this... but I thought I would type this anyway because I am bored to death tonight ... sorry

plastic  said about 5 years ago:

well it isnt a very interesting topic ... I have spent the entire day on this computer

rawr  said about 5 years ago:

never even considered taking my shoes off inside until i moved into a house with light coloured tiles. now it just seems like the easy way to avoid frequent mopping.

friends in the past have scoffed in horror as i laid on my bed with shoes on. i didn't realise what the fuss was about. diff'rent strokes, eh?

louis  said about 5 years ago:

taking my shoes off is always one of the first things i do when i walk in the door at home and at most other people's places. i just don't like wearing shoes though.

ratz  said about 5 years ago:

I really look forward to de-shoeing when I get home from work - especially in summer as it's so nice to be barefoot.
I don't always do it in other peoples homes though, unless they have a no shoes indoors preference.

fever  said about 5 years ago:

i just don't like wearing shoes though.

+1

panda_monium  said about 5 years ago:

i just don't like wearing shoes though.

me three.

chuckler  said about 5 years ago:

nope ... my feet go naked.

STEWSTER  said about 5 years ago:

Nordic folk take off their shoes inside. Now back in Australia I still do it. Often at friends homes I will do it too. Feels strange to wear shoes inside now. It's a good feeling.

Charles Dumar  said about 5 years ago:

It seems idiotic. What's the reason? Filth?

Do you keep the plastic on your couches? Would you ever get one of those plastic running along the floor which all must stay on? So what? So everything you own becomes untouchable incase the colour fades or dust settles.

Why don't you just lock the house up, let no one in and live in the car - that way, no dirt or wear will ever touch the precious carpet.

kabukiboy  said about 5 years ago:

it's about fucking on the carpet charles. you want your girl to get worms?!

TimChuma  said about 5 years ago:

Stepping in dog shit/chewing gum then tracking it through the house is no fun. I always seem to step on the pointy end of a gum nut and end up with it lodged in my shoe. Must get a tetanus shot as my last one was in 1992 and I am bound to step on a nail sooner or later or a bit of rusty packing wire that whips up and cuts my leg.

STEWSTER  said about 5 years ago:

Charles, it's not about dust or dirt. It's just nice to take off the shoes and walk on the carpet, floor boards and tiles. Let your feet breath and your mind will follow. Don't lock up your feet.

mulligan  said about 5 years ago:

Charles doesn't have feet. He has a hybrid hoof / roller skate type thing.

Texaco  said about 5 years ago:

There's just not enough fucking on carpet these days. I guess we really do need to blame shoes.

1) I can't remember the last time I stepped in shit or gum. Does this really happen often enough to have to take your fucking shoes off/on every time you enter and leave a house?

2) > STEWSTER said 11 hours ago:
Charles, it's not about dust or dirt. It's just nice to take off the shoes and walk on the carpet, floor boards and tiles. Let your feet breath and your mind will follow. Don't lock up your feet.

If it's an option, those who like not wearing shoes can by all means take them off - I'm fine with that - just don't force those who don't like it to do it.

And if it's one thing I will never stop doing it's fucking on the carpet. I don't care who the host is...

bobbob  said about 5 years ago:

..but you know.. just think about all the stuff you step in and through in the street all the time.
It's kind of disgusting to go and live with that filth in your home all the time, on the floors and through the house
I don't take my shoes off very often either, but when i think about it I think it's probably a good idea.

I don't take my shoes off very often either, but when i think about it I think it's probably a good idea.

it probably is, maybe also leave plastic on couches etc, as someone else said ... a tidy home equals a tidy mind...need to hire a steam cleaner, as I have trampled alot of dirt through my apartment ...

my brother visited today ... he enquired if I had new carpet, which is strange because I perception that it was ingrained with dirt. it depends on person I guess as to what constitutes this ...

The_Tupelo_Flash  said about 3 years ago:

Nothing bugs me more than when you visit someone and they have a ''no shoes'' policy at their house and ask you go remove your shoes... I think it's a big ask, kinda rude and pointless.

Of course I always do it if they ask, but what I'm really thinkin' is ''no I don't want to take off my fuckin' shoes you anally retentive suburbanite!''....

september  said about 3 years ago:

stop complaining and be prepared. if the host wants to ruin the line of your outfit with their my house my rules no shoes policy pack a bag with thigh high socks and best undies.

I could be wearing odd socks!

My socks could be three days old!... I'm scared to remove my shoes.

These shoes give me great height!

ghoti-max  said about 3 years ago:

Shoes off if you're sober, it's polite. Shoes on if you're drunk.

BigBoysSocks  said about 3 years ago:

Shoes off if you're sober, it's polite.

Really? None of my friends have a no-shoe policy.

I wonder if the practice of taking off your shoes came from the lower classes not being able to afford housekeepers. Husband/dad works in the field, comes home with cow shit and mud all over this boots, so to save his wife/mother spending unnecessary time on cleaning the floors, he de-shoes. Those in a higher class can afford cleaners, and probably don't get their shoes too dirty, so don't give a shit about de-shoeing.

Yoofersair  said about 3 years ago:

Removing shoes once inside the front door is tradition in my family. I was told it was polite to offer when a visitor. Several pairs of shoes at the entry point probably indicates a shoes off house. My mother would never tell a guest to lose their shoes. But my siblings and I always told
our friends to take them off. Adult guests who failed to usually did not receive a
second invitation to visit our home.

Adult guests who failed to usually did not receive a second invitation to visit our home.

You're fuckin' kidding, right?

Adult guests who failed to usually did not receive a second invitation to visit our home.

THIS.

Shoes off houses says a lot about the people who live in them.

LockingPlier  said about 3 years ago:

I've found shoes off in the house to be the norm in NZ.

Maybe because it rains so much...I dunno.

It feels strange now when I wear shoes inside.

chickenchops  said about 3 years ago:

I never ever wear shoes at home, but resent it like hell when I visit a friend who has a no-shoe policy and two fucking hideous fluffy untrained Maltese terriers. Oh right, so my shoes are going to dirty up the place but those fucking dogs are ok to jump on the table. Cool.

No not kidding BigBoysSocks. My mother was not born here and has different cultural practices to those she learnt to accept in Australia. It is not up to me to change her.

Well your Mum should have just asked people to remove their shoes instead of seeing if they'd pass some sort of social test....

OK next time I call her I will tell her what she should do to pass your test.

mickeyjuice  said about 3 years ago:

it has always passed my thoughts when I have walked into a house. '' would you like me to take my shoes off? ''. I have never had any sort of policy in my house hold as a young pup, but I think it is just common courtesy to the resident and shows you have respect to their property and to the person(s).

OK next time I call her I will tell her what she should do to pass your test

Dude, let me get this straight.... your Mum operates a no-shoes household - except she doesn't tell guests they must remove their shoes right? ...and those guests who fail to remove shies don't get invited back to her house.

I don't care where she was born... that's just stupid.

mickeyjuice  said about 3 years ago:

Agreed mickyjuice it is common courtesy and respect. Those with difficulty accepting that are unwelcome intruders not guests.

rigid  said about 3 years ago:

I take them off at home because the clod-clodding on the floorboards scares the cat. And I like the cat.

angelicIV  said about 3 years ago:

Yeah here shoes offpolicy, mainly because the floor boards are old..70 years old or so? And the joins have been knocked and whatnot over the years, heels particularly k's can chip the sides of the boards if a small heel goes where thejoins are, then I have to repair. It saves wear and tear on the floors...

If it was a mud brick or something wouldn't nforce it, if the floors were new, or concrete or new boards or brick floor or something I wouldn't inforce it.

Plus everyone insocks means I have a team of floor polishers constantly polishing my boards

Yoof - it's not common courtesy and respect. Sorry.

rigid  said about 3 years ago:

Agreed BBS. I have no problem going shoeless for anyone but it is by no means widely expected or the done thing.

Coz  said about 3 years ago:

I always presumed it was more polite to leave your shoes on as a guest unless specifically asked or there is a clear indication that it's a no shoes household (i.e. a pile of shoes at the door, or a sparkling clean cream-coloured shagpile rug) - I don't want to smell my guests smelly feet! That said, if it is a no-shoes household, I have no problem with going shoeless. We're all adults here - shoes/no shoes, it doesn't matter, just ask.

In my own home I usually leave my shoes on if I have guests, but when I'm alone I go shoeless almost all the time, except when I have an awesome new pair of shoes that I love wearing.

angelicIV  said about 3 years ago:

I was sort of anal for a while, mainly cos kids shoes go everywhere so they are stacked neatly etc at the front door. With guests I have been known to let it go, lots of shoes are perfectly fine, if work boots, no never...or stilettos Nup...cos they damage boards etc..

It's not really dirt dust, more high impact footwear. That I'm adverse to in houses...also the noise factor. 5 people banging around the joint is too loud in shoes on boards. Carpet doesn't really matter, last house wasn't that big a deal. But carpet is hard to clean and on and onit goes..

If I ever get to bring a guy home in my new single life maybe I will tell him my house is pants off. Get things started! LOL.

In my own home I usually leave my shoes on if I have guests, but when I'm alone I go shoeless almost all the time, except when I have an awesome new pair of shoes that I love wearing.

Now that just makes so much sense. That's the way I roll too, Coz.

Tiger Tiger  said about 3 years ago:

if visiting a no shoe household it is polite for the host to offer house slippers. this way the host can reciprocate the courtesy shown by the guest.

Agreed! My mum offers all guests slippers after they offer to remove their shoes. But her strict door policy remains and she manages it like a coat check. You hand over your shoes she gives you slippers. She also assumes most of her guests have cheesy smelling feet.

Spidey  said about 3 years ago:

I have a clause in my lease that states that no 'high heels' are to be worn inside. Weird but whateever. ignore

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.