View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Android phones

tabula rasa  said about 3 years ago  or at  4:47PM on Friday, June 4 2010 in chat

It seems like a few of us either have, or are getting Android phones so I thought a dedicated thread on them could be beneficial.

Hints, tips, good apps? Share the fun.

You can find a handy new user guide to the HTC Desire here.

Ben  said about 3 years ago:

what IS and android phone?

I am Morris  said about 3 years ago:

Android is the operating system designed by Google that they're putting on to touch screen phones. It's a functional counter to the iPhone.

LaxCharisma  said about 3 years ago:

Hellzapoppin  said about 3 years ago:

So Android is a offshoot tree of the Linux kernel, but the Desire has no Linux support.. wonderful!

tabula rasa  said about 3 years ago:

For apps on the Android phone, I'm finding AppBrain to be very handy for discovering new stuff and managing apps.

For extending the daily battery life on your Desire, I really like JuiceDefender (even with its basic default settings in the free version) and Quick Settings.

I'm also using ShopSavvy (to help slow down my impulse buys), Google Goggles (it's very surprising in what it can do), & LED Light as a quick tiny spotlight.

So Android is a offshoot tree of the Linux kernel, but the Desire has no Linux support.. wonderful!

When you browse the Desire's file system (I'm using Astro File Manager) you definitely see a Linux file system and structure.

Hellzapoppin  said about 3 years ago:

Oh I'm sure it would be workable after a fiddle in the shell, but still it's retarded.

Ben  said about 3 years ago:

booooorrrring

raven  said about 3 years ago:

What's the music support like?
I want to be able to just upload music to it in a filesystem manner, as a USB mass storage device, and I want it to support gapless playback (via LAME mp3 headers or whatever).
I'm pretty sure it does neither. FUCK YOU ANDROID.

(With an iPhone I can use foobar to manage the music, and upload gapless info etc. I hate/detest iTunes, and would dearly love an alternative to iPhone/iPod, but Android seems to effectively not care. Bah.)

Try Google Sky Map, Ben. It's fun, not boring. And with a little bit of effort you can see Uranus.

tugboat  said about 3 years ago:

Raven. I have a tiny Sony 16Gb mp3 player.
I'm very happy with it.

raven  said about 3 years ago:

Trouble is, I have 200GB+ of music on my hard drive.
I don't want to carry a tiny-capacity mp3 player around really, which I have to continually manage. I want either a huge one that can just mirror my entire collection, or one that's part of my phone, and I'll deal with managing it.

But if it doesn't do gapless playback it can fuck off. Ah wells.

Android definitely plays mp3, wav, wma, midi, ogg, amr, & aac files. I'm only just starting to play around with mine re music. I've found it very easy to put music on it & I haven't even set up a sync folder yet.

The Cubed (otherwise known as 3) music player works well for browsing your music.

Raven, you can apparently set up Songbird so that it can play your music at home on your phone (data costs might be a bit high though).

I'm going to get a 32Gb microSD card and just live with that amount of music on the phone.

tugboat  said about 3 years ago:

raven said 11 minutes ago:
Trouble is, I have 200GB+ of music on my hard drive.
I don't want to carry a tiny-capacity mp3 player around really, which I have to continually manage. I want either a huge one that can just mirror my entire collection, or one that's part of my phone, and I'll deal with managing it.

True that.
Can you still rockbox a iPod nowaday?
I guess if you use mp3tag to clean up the id3, iPod would be kinda slightly less unbearable.

Back in phone chat.
What about the sony Android phone?

goldfoot  said about 3 years ago:

I've found it very easy to put music on it

Can you drag and drop files on it like a USB mass storage device?

Can you drag and drop files on it like a USB mass storage device?

Yep, that's all that I've been doing so far. When you connect the Android phone to your pc you get the options of charge only/HTC sync/disk drive/internet sharing. Drag & drop is pretty straightforward.

Apparently you can set up a DropBox type folder to sync stuff, I haven't set that up as yet but there are instructions on how to do it (& there might be easier methods, I've not searched for them yet).

email  said about 3 years ago:

About time this bandwagon started getting some people on the back of it.

I've got the first gen, qwerty keyboard model, and it does a great job, except for one button on the keyboard that doesn't work. It's about a year old now, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I have had a bit of issues with updating the OS in the past though, but only once.

I'm waiting for the over-the-air update from Telstra of Android 2.2 as it then allows you to save apps to the storage card, and is apparently 2-5 times faster than the current v2.1 software.

As it's a Telstra phone I have a feeling I might be waiting a while...

The smaller HTC Wildfire looks pretty good:

It has an app-sharing widget, which I'm sure the other Android phones will get soon.

View Comments 20 to 999

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

anok  said about 2 months ago:

I use Google Play Music or whatever it's called now and used Power AMP for a long time and never had fucking-out issues.

Wonky  said about 2 months ago:

Shuttle Music Player, bitches.

I tried Google Music, Winamp, PowerAmp and about 5-6 other crappy players. Shuttle is super good.

juicenewton*  said about 2 months ago:

'tropes'

just stop it people.

juicenewton*  said about 2 months ago:

oops wrong thread hehe!

That one looks pretty nice wonky. Unfortunately all my music now lives on the cloud.

poprocks96  said about 2 months ago:

S5 launching on 24-2-14.

woolfat  said about 2 months ago:

anok said 11 hours ago: That one looks pretty nice wonky. Unfortunately all my music now lives on the cloud.

tell me more, anok.

what I mean is, what do you use? iMatch?

just google music. i upload stuff at home and then stream as required. it's free. there's a paid service which i assume works like spotify, rdio, etc.

cheers! i stupidly wasn't aware of google music.

I bought iMatch and got a refund a few days later - stupid thing wouldn't even run through the set up succesfully without crashing/freezing.

rawr  said about 2 months ago:

i've just started using ubuntu one for music streaming. syncs with my music folder on my computer. works ok so far!

hungryhungryhippo  said about 2 months ago:

Does anyone ever have galaxy issues where the chrome search function just shits itself and wont load any search results- acts as if there are zero to report and delivers 0/0 in red???

radiotron  said about 2 months ago:

poprocks96 said 8 hours ago:
S5 launching on 24-2-14.

i can't see the point of a ''flexible'' phone (if that leaked photo is even real?)
unless it wraps around your wrist like a watch

charlesincharge  said about 2 months ago:

>
anok said 8 hours ago:
just google music. i upload stuff at home and then stream as required. it's free. there's a paid service which i assume works like spotify, rdio, etc.

i get it. it's worth the $9.99. i love it.

Block  said about 1 month ago:

My Motorola RAZR shit itself on the weekend, and Telstra have lent me a HTC Sense- WORST FONE EVA.

poprocks96  said 21 days ago:

S5 will be $82 on Telstra :/

black wasp!  said 21 days ago:

That Ultra Low Power mode is a great idea though!

mrmagoo  said 15 days ago:

my S3 is so shit on the battery, usually barely makes it a day without a recharge, and that's without really using it too heavily

did research and did all the things you are supposed to do and had minimal improvement

ended up finding out about 'Restricting Background Data' and downloaded the Deep Sleep Battery app and it's turned it all around amazingly. It's 1pm and my phone is at 80% charge! Unheard of!

thanks for reading

electricsound  said 15 days ago:

preordered an s5 for some reason. hope it's not shit.

moo-core  said 15 days ago:

My S2 has appalling battery life. You could put it down to age, but it wasn't amazing inthe first place. I just carry a spare battery in my backpack, but good battery life would be better.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.