View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Android phones

tabula rasa  said about 4 years ago  or at  4:47PM on Friday, June 4 2010 in chat

It seems like a few of us either have, or are getting Android phones so I thought a dedicated thread on them could be beneficial.

Hints, tips, good apps? Share the fun.

You can find a handy new user guide to the HTC Desire here.

Ben  said about 4 years ago:

what IS and android phone?

I am Morris  said about 4 years ago:

Android is the operating system designed by Google that they're putting on to touch screen phones. It's a functional counter to the iPhone.

LaxCharisma  said about 4 years ago:

Hellzapoppin  said about 4 years ago:

So Android is a offshoot tree of the Linux kernel, but the Desire has no Linux support.. wonderful!

tabula rasa  said about 4 years ago:

For apps on the Android phone, I'm finding AppBrain to be very handy for discovering new stuff and managing apps.

For extending the daily battery life on your Desire, I really like JuiceDefender (even with its basic default settings in the free version) and Quick Settings.

I'm also using ShopSavvy (to help slow down my impulse buys), Google Goggles (it's very surprising in what it can do), & LED Light as a quick tiny spotlight.

So Android is a offshoot tree of the Linux kernel, but the Desire has no Linux support.. wonderful!

When you browse the Desire's file system (I'm using Astro File Manager) you definitely see a Linux file system and structure.

Hellzapoppin  said about 4 years ago:

Oh I'm sure it would be workable after a fiddle in the shell, but still it's retarded.

Ben  said about 4 years ago:

booooorrrring

raven  said about 4 years ago:

What's the music support like?
I want to be able to just upload music to it in a filesystem manner, as a USB mass storage device, and I want it to support gapless playback (via LAME mp3 headers or whatever).
I'm pretty sure it does neither. FUCK YOU ANDROID.

(With an iPhone I can use foobar to manage the music, and upload gapless info etc. I hate/detest iTunes, and would dearly love an alternative to iPhone/iPod, but Android seems to effectively not care. Bah.)

Try Google Sky Map, Ben. It's fun, not boring. And with a little bit of effort you can see Uranus.

tugboat  said about 4 years ago:

Raven. I have a tiny Sony 16Gb mp3 player.
I'm very happy with it.

raven  said about 4 years ago:

Trouble is, I have 200GB+ of music on my hard drive.
I don't want to carry a tiny-capacity mp3 player around really, which I have to continually manage. I want either a huge one that can just mirror my entire collection, or one that's part of my phone, and I'll deal with managing it.

But if it doesn't do gapless playback it can fuck off. Ah wells.

Android definitely plays mp3, wav, wma, midi, ogg, amr, & aac files. I'm only just starting to play around with mine re music. I've found it very easy to put music on it & I haven't even set up a sync folder yet.

The Cubed (otherwise known as 3) music player works well for browsing your music.

Raven, you can apparently set up Songbird so that it can play your music at home on your phone (data costs might be a bit high though).

I'm going to get a 32Gb microSD card and just live with that amount of music on the phone.

tugboat  said about 4 years ago:

raven said 11 minutes ago:
Trouble is, I have 200GB+ of music on my hard drive.
I don't want to carry a tiny-capacity mp3 player around really, which I have to continually manage. I want either a huge one that can just mirror my entire collection, or one that's part of my phone, and I'll deal with managing it.

True that.
Can you still rockbox a iPod nowaday?
I guess if you use mp3tag to clean up the id3, iPod would be kinda slightly less unbearable.

Back in phone chat.
What about the sony Android phone?

goldfoot  said about 4 years ago:

I've found it very easy to put music on it

Can you drag and drop files on it like a USB mass storage device?

Can you drag and drop files on it like a USB mass storage device?

Yep, that's all that I've been doing so far. When you connect the Android phone to your pc you get the options of charge only/HTC sync/disk drive/internet sharing. Drag & drop is pretty straightforward.

Apparently you can set up a DropBox type folder to sync stuff, I haven't set that up as yet but there are instructions on how to do it (& there might be easier methods, I've not searched for them yet).

email  said about 4 years ago:

About time this bandwagon started getting some people on the back of it.

I've got the first gen, qwerty keyboard model, and it does a great job, except for one button on the keyboard that doesn't work. It's about a year old now, so I'm pretty happy with that.

I have had a bit of issues with updating the OS in the past though, but only once.

I'm waiting for the over-the-air update from Telstra of Android 2.2 as it then allows you to save apps to the storage card, and is apparently 2-5 times faster than the current v2.1 software.

As it's a Telstra phone I have a feeling I might be waiting a while...

The smaller HTC Wildfire looks pretty good:

It has an app-sharing widget, which I'm sure the other Android phones will get soon.

View Comments 20 to 1174

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

charlesincharge  said 27 days ago:

what colour?

rawr  said 27 days ago:

black

poprocks96  said 13 days ago:

My S2 just deleted every single one of my sms'. Don't suppose they were being backed up somewhere, can't find anything in My Files. Oh well.

soula  said 13 days ago:

not unless you backed them yourself on a computer? this happened to my htc once.

speaking of which I like android, but hating new htc. thinking Samsung is the next step? are they set up the same? I miss having 5 screens and don't want blink feed crapola.

team ham sandwich  said 13 days ago:

Nexus 6 out in 6-8 weeks. Just wait for that.

russiancaravan  said 12 days ago:

soula, if it's just BlinkFeed you hate about HTC, isn't there an option now to get rid of it?

Otherwise, you can always download a launcher like Apex (which I use) or Nova from the Google Play store. Gets rid of BlinkFeed and you can have more than five screens if you want, plus way more control over layout customisation.

anok  said 12 days ago:

themer is such a stylish launcher. really love it. unfortunately my screen got messed up last night. worst!

soula  said 12 days ago:

what is nexus? I'm so behind in the times.

I bought the htc desire cheapo prepaid phone from jb at Christmas to get by cause my old htc desire was like 4 years old and couldn't back anything up, or transfer as I found out when I got the new one. I usually wait til there is a cheap phone on a 2 year plan with no extra costs, but telstra isn't offering much in the htc range. and I can't get a cover and limited accessories for htc. I thought it was popular?

so...can't get rid of blink feed that I could find, probably cause it's prepaid range. but then I have no idea what a launcher is. I'll take a look.

anok  said 12 days ago:

nexus is everything you want and need.

GrantleyBuffalo  said 12 days ago:

The Nexus 6 only has a built-in 4-year lifespan, though... due to a bloody mutiny on an Offworld colony.

raven  said 12 days ago:

It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Wonky  said 10 days ago:

soula: Nexus is the Google phone. Made by LG.

I've got the Nexus 5 and I'm really happy with it. The only drawback as far as I'm concerned is that it does not have a micro-sd slot.

Wonky  said 10 days ago:

Oh - and they're cheap. I got the 32GB Nexus 5 for $450 outright late last year.

team ham sandwich  said 10 days ago:

Awesome warranty service too from google. My battery started bulging the case out a little. Called them up and they are sending out a brand new phone today. I have had it for over a year.

soula  said 10 days ago:

made by LG?! I swore I'd never by anything by LG. does anyone have them on plans though?

charlesincharge  said 10 days ago:

You don't want it on a plan. Can be bought outright at great value then paired with an el cheapo plan or prepaid arrangement.

charlesincharge  said 10 days ago:

Is really good though. I recommend.

GOD  said 10 days ago:

Nexus outright + $30 prepaid sim is the way to go

soula  said 10 days ago:

prepaid? I've never been prepaid and I've had a phone since the mid 90s. with the same number!

I'll have to have a look into this...is there anywhere I can go to have a look at one in the flesh?

GOD  said 10 days ago:

Not that I'm aware

team ham sandwich  said 10 days ago:

Telstra stores have them

Lilo  said 10 days ago:

My Nexus 4 is doing this thing where I can't make calls unless I have the speaker on. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.