View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

film noir

b&w_photograph  said about 2 years ago  or at  10:18PM on Wednesday, December 7 2011 in chat

Does anyone like this genre of film. Can you suggest any films that may be worth watching.

b&w_photograph  said about 2 years ago:

I just watched Notorious the Alfred Hitchcock film.

prince  said about 2 years ago:

The Third Man is one of the best ever made, of more modern times Drive would fit the genre.

monkeyman  said about 2 years ago:

A Touch Of Evil

tigers  said about 2 years ago:

The big sleep. Required viewing.

The Maltese falcon.

klaximopark  said about 2 years ago:

Awesome genre to look into. Classics, apart from those mentioned, Double indemnity, out of the past, in a lonely place. Some wicked neo-noir Body Heat, and The Last Seduction. I highly recommend all of them as essential viewing. I think Collateral, the Michael Mann movie, is a very cool contemporary noir if you can forgive the high concept ending. Which I can.

Simon_Sez  said about 2 years ago:

The Third Man is superb. As is The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon.

The Killers.

Key Largo.

Angels with Dirty Faces.

The original Scarface.

Blood Simple.

LA Confidential.

Plus a whole shitload of old French movies, which I haven't seen enough of.

Good thread!

Simon_Sez  said about 2 years ago:

Oh, and Chinatown!

number_nine  said about 2 years ago:

Detour.

Gorn  said about 2 years ago:

I second Double Indemnity and In A Lonely Place. Two of the greatest films ever made.

Anything with Elisha Cook Jnr in it.

Good proto-Noir - Stranger on the Third Floor with Peter Lorre.

Great Neo-Noir - Chinatown.

The Big Combo. Kiss Me Deadly. The films of Anthony Mann..The films of Robert Siodmak... The French Noirs of Jean-Pierre Melville...

stirfry  said about 2 years ago:

M
Elevator to the gallows (alt title: Lift to the scaffold)

Night and the City (the greatest noir?)
Night of the Hunter (CHIIIIIIILDREN!)

geneclark70  said about 2 years ago:

Criss Cross
The Set Up

hillsonghoods  said about 2 years ago:

I second Double Indemnity and In A Lonely Place. Two of the greatest films ever made.

Thirded!

voidster  said about 2 years ago:

Noir and neo-noir are my favourite genres. In addition to the already mentioned titles and off the top of my head (noir is my favourite genre), my must-sees would include:

Sunset Boulevarde

Rififi

White Heat

Gilda

The Blue Dahlia

Scarlet Street

Strangers on a Train

There are many, many more. Once you've watched a few, make sure you watch Steve Martin's Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

mrb  said about 2 years ago:

Blast Of Silence. Incredible ow budget early 60's flick. amazing.

trueschoolalumni  said about 2 years ago:

David Mamet's House of Games is pretty good neo-noir as well.

garumph  said about 2 years ago:

Big up for The Narrow Margin. Not strictly noir but a cracking detective yarn, brilliant hard-boiled dialogue and Marie Windsor bringin' the sass as a gangster's moll-turned-star witness.

Farewell My Lovely, a Chandler adaptation which is arguably better than The Big Sleep.

Panic In The Streets - great cop-chase flick with a young Jack Palance loose in New Orleans with typhoid.

Pretty much anything with Robert Ryan in it.

garumph - I love you. Just finished watching the Narrow Margin. Highly recommended. The dialogue ruled - my two fav lines:
''No one loves a fat man except his grocer and his tailor.''
''For a cop, you're not such dull company after all.''
Ahh classic.

alec m  said about 2 years ago:

In a Lonely Place is best of all

unioncityblues  said about 2 years ago:

Following (1998) early Christopher Nolan neo-noir that often gets overlooked in various film lists. it's pretty decent.

Murder My Sweet, a Chandler adaptation

Fixed.

boner m.  said about 2 years ago:

The Prowler (Joe Losey, 1951) - Cop stalks suburban housewife, conspires to murder her wealthy husband. maybe not the best of the genre, but one of the creepiest. James Ellroy aptly descrbed it as 'perv noir'.

pfinger18  said about 2 years ago:

Devil in a Blue Dress is good.

The Killing (Kubrick) - incredible.

Morris Iemma  said about 2 years ago:

Strangers on a Bus

Strangers on a Ferry

Strangers at the Fayre

Strangers in a Maxi Taxi

No_Anchor  said about 2 years ago:

The Man Who Wasn't There by the Cohen Bros plays on all this stuff - and is great.

It's a western but Way Of The Gun has some pretty serious noir elements (namely the morally dubious 'loser' style protagonist found in a lot of noir).
- Ian

livingincanada  said about 2 years ago:

downloaded a whole bunch of these in the last few days. very much looking forward to the noir fest.

The Man Who Was Always There Even When He Wasn't Wanted and He Would Go and Tell His Dad If You Made Fun of Him and Told Him to Go Away

nuclear_division  said about 2 years ago:

thankyou except morris iemma. I have seen some of these films. I like the film Kiss Me Deadly that someone suggested.

dzerzhanzhinskii  said about 2 years ago:

everything anthony mann has ever done with john alton is essential film noir 101. i can think of t-men and raw deal, most notably. alton's camerawork, in particular, is a real feat of subtlety and restraint. pretty much the embodiment and essence of film noir itself and therefore, not surprisingly, a landmark reference point in the history of cinema.

jules dassin is another filmmaker who has produced works that are indispensable. my favourites are naked city, night and the city, and brute force.

then there's of course the german expressionists - most famously, fritz lang (scarlet street, the big heat, the woman in the window, the house by the river (a big favourite here), ministry of fear - extremely underrated and ray milland is superb), robert siodmak (criss cross, the killers, phantom lady - almost always venerated as archetypal pieces of noir), billy wilder (sunset blvd, double indemnity, ace in the hole with kirk douglas in regal form), otto preminger (the 13th letter, laura, fallen angel - with linda darnell putting in arguably her best performance).

others to consider:

jacques tourneur's out of the past - the purist's classic. a young jane greer's gorgeous here.

abraham polonsky's force of evil - i'm almost close in agreement with a good friend who thinks this is the best american film ever made if not for the minor issue of welles and hitch. john garfield's at his finest here, short of maybe body and soul.

alberto cavalcanti's they made me a fugitive - gem of a british noir. gloomy and cynical. an indictment of the socio-political conditions of postwar england at the time.

sir carol reed's odd man out and the third man - noir tours de force without question.

jean renoir's la bete humaine - might just be my favourite piece of ''proto-noir'' alongside ozu's dragnet girl.

frank borzage's moonrise - stunning film with an opening sequence that ranks up there with the best of 'em, noir and beyond.

henry hathaway - the dark corner (if there's a film that proves lucille ball isn't one dimensional, this has to be it), the house on 92nd street, kiss of death (quite possibly richard widmark's finest role).

robert wise - the set up, born to kill, and odds against tomorrow- awesome awesome flick. can't recommend this enough. i doubt you'd find a better and more convincing performance from harry belafonte.

edward dmytryk - the sniper, cornered, murder my sweet, crossfire

Nice.... I have a few things to explore there.

dzerzhanzhinskii  said about 2 years ago:

nikkatsu noir
with two joe shishido related titles.
also: seijun suzuki's noirish branded to kill.

I found House by the River a little underwhelming, but was expecting to really love it. Maybe I should re-watch it later, could have been in the wrong kinda mood

There is that opinion now where any film made in the 40s in black and white with gangsters, criminals or detectives is film noir. Often they aren't - I wouldn't call Laura a noir (more a detective mystery with a reasonably obvious twist), but it's lumped in with 'em.

Strictly speaking, Vertigo is a noir.

holding_hands  said about 2 years ago:

I had seen Sunset Boulevard before, but someone mentioned this film and I did like watching this again today.

the man whose head expandeded

goodbye_world  said about 2 years ago:

D.O.A. I watched this the other night, it is quite a good film.

geneclark70  said about 8 months ago:

James Chance of the Contortions picks his favourite film noir flicks

http://furious.com/perfect/jameschancenoir2.html

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.