View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Werner Herzog

djbollocks  said about 7 years ago  or at  8:11PM on Wednesday, January 10 2007 in films

Trailer for the new Werner Herzog film Rescue Dawn
Not sure when this is in cinemas but I can't wait to see it. I love Herzog's films and Christian Bale seems to be getting better and better.

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

i loves fitzcarraldo...

djbollocks  said about 7 years ago:

i love all his work - but Stroszek; and Aguirre: The Wrath of God are my favourites.

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

can't stop the dancing chickens...

yrspiritflares  said about 7 years ago:

This makes me happy. I think...

...isn't he trailing the whole Vietnam thing by a couple of decades after Oliver Stone, Kubrick, et al? Deer Hunter anyone?

I'll wait and see.

i think the trailer makes it look like that but it's based on a doco he did 10 years ago called Little Dieter Learns to Fly about Vietnam war-hero Dieter Dengler who survived 6 months in a Viet Cong prision camp.

yrspiritflares  said about 7 years ago:

Fair enough. I'm hopeful.

(Really liked Aguirre and that nut K.Kinski)

frigid star  said about 7 years ago:

Monday 28th, May - BAr Open

INCIDENT AT LOCH NESS (Werner Herzog / Zak Penn, 2004)

Acclaimed German film-maker Werner Herzog travels to Scotland's Loch Ness, to direct a documentary about the legend (rather than the reality) of the monster. With backing from Hollywood screenwriter-turned-producer Zak Penn, the production is soon jeopardised by creative disagreement. And then the creature actually appears on camera... A fascinating examination of myth vs. reality.

7pm / $5 - 3 month membership

I hadn't heard of this doco before. Has it been released on DVD?

hyperfuzz  said about 7 years ago:

yeah, but not over here, i think.

hyperfuzz  said about 6 years ago:

picked up grizzly man on dvd for around 8 bucks in the 'buy 2 get 1 free' deal jb has going on at the moment. on it's own, it's about 12. comes with another short doco which i haven't watched, and a 50 minute doco on the making of the music, featuring herzog and jim o rourke in the background...

the power of 666  said about 6 years ago:

grizzly man still seems like a really elaborate hoax to me, as amazing as it is

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

not hoax

Mo  said about 6 years ago:

grizzly man was fucking fantastic

did u ask yourself - like i did

is this guy a genius or the dumbest motherfucker

i swayed between the two

shakethecloudsout  said about 6 years ago:

saw the Rescue Dawn preview screening a couple months back, it's really really fucking good. nobody shoots nature better, especially the oppression of the jungle. had already seen Little Dieter Needs to Fly, and Bale is amazing, nails it. on the verge of tears a couple of times, the only thing that is slightly hokey and out of the ordinary for Herzog is the big ending, but it's truth, and how the guy was. film should be huge.

versionsporadic  said about 6 years ago:

that bit in grizzly man when he told that woman ''you must never listen to this tape'' was horrifying

twas wasn't it!!!!!

bxckxtrxdxr  said about 6 years ago:

that bit in grizzly man when he told that woman ''you must never listen to this tape'' was horrifying

I think that's what 6er is talking about. The fact that Herzog never shares the proof with the audience tends to make me suspicious as to whether this is fair dinks or just an elaborate Herzog joke.

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

the only thing that is slightly hokey and out of the ordinary for Herzog is the big ending

i actually liked the happy ending. considering herzog was good friends with dieter I think it makes sense. although it was strange to see a herzog film with an upbeat ending.

ocelotl  said about 6 years ago:

Rather odd bit of footage... Werner gets shot with an air rifle during an interview!

View Comments 20 to 248

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

I can hear him reading that aloud. Actually, these voices built into my Mac, could someone make one called Herzog? I would never get tired of that.

venompstinger  said about 2 years ago:

He narrates the latest episode of American Dad (So7e17). It is hysterical - he does his classic monologue with a big theme at the end. I love this man.

djbollocks  said about 1 year ago:

Herzog is playing a role in the new Tom Cruise action film Jack Reacher. I saw the trailer of it today at the movies and it seems Herzog has a significant part in the film.

iiii!  said about 1 year ago:

That sounds interesting to say the least.

Anyway I am planning to watch Bad Lieutenant tonight because of this thread and then probably *Nosferatu *(because the idea of a Herzog version of Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski in it has me tickled pink). After that, what should I watch? I've seen Strozeck, Aguirre, and Fitzcarraldo, and of those three I liked Strozeck best (it was very sad and funny). The guy has lots of movies and I'm a bit intimidated so advice would be appreciated.

ocelotl  said about 1 year ago:

If you're digging around the earlier works, then The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser or Even Dwarfs Started Small should be suitable. Or just pic a doco at random, they're all worth seeing.

djbollocks  said about 1 year ago:

Would recommend you see some of his docos: Grizzly Man, Lessons of Darkness, My Best Fiend. Also check out some of his short docos, most of them are incredible.

dzerzhanzhinskii  said about 1 year ago:

if you like the stuff with kinski, then you might as well line up the other kinski-herzog ventures for viewing - cobra verde, my best fiend (very revealing of cantankerous personalities (or maybe just one)) and burden of dreams (not by herzog but is an insightful ''behind the scenes'' of fitzcarraldo, which more or less captures herzog in his element).

aside from those, fata morgana is essential. one of his best. definitive, even. a formative archetype and fine example of a great deal of his signatures and approaches to essay-film / documentary filmmaking.

i dig land of silence and darkness as well.

Anyone who hasn't caught Into the Abyss yet - SBS1, 9.30 this Sunday night.

iiii!  said about 1 year ago:

OK well I guess it will be Caspar Hauser and the making of documentaries. Thank you for your recommendation!

Anyone who hasn't caught Into the Abyss yet - SBS1, 9.30 this Sunday night.

And - the On Death Row 4-parter is running over the next four Sundays.

theneworphan  said about 1 year ago:

This is pretty damn amazing.

Fitzcardboardaldo

That video in itself I found kind of pointless, but it must be watched first so you can enjoy the true glory of The Corrugation of Dreams.

theneworphan  said about 1 year ago:

d'oh!

Watch this one first! Fitcardboardaldo

standing ovation

fzchk  said about 1 year ago:

Awesome. Amazing. Just fucking brilliant.

Ben  said about 1 year ago:

nice

ocelotl  said about 11 months ago:

A half-hour PSA? Wow. Look forward to checking that out.

LoadMyRig  said about 11 months ago:

it's pretty compelling. actually made me cry....

djbollocks  said about 10 months ago:

That PSA film is incredibly moving and so much more effective than the shlock scare tactics that the TAC employ here.

Sunnyboyz  said about 10 months ago:

watched Into The Abyss again last night... man that movie just leaves you empty.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.