View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

The Patti Smith Thread

PelicanGodOfJupiter  said about 7 years ago  or at  1:31PM on Wednesday, May 16 2007 in music

Okay, I know there are a couple, but there is no generic Patti Smith thread.

I was tempted to start a new one specifically for her new album 'Twelve', but I decided against it.

I've had a quick skip through various songs and I really like it. Twelve covers from all kinds of different artists, not dissimilar to Tori Amos' 'Strange Little Girls' album.

Hendrix's 'Are You Experienced?' is a good one and surprisingly Tears For Fears' 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World'.

Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is a bit tired, but still sounds good in the context of the album.

Check it.

T J Honeysuckle  said about 7 years ago:

I've heard a bit of this lately, and despite my best efforts I can't find anything to like. "Teen Spirit" is especially awful.

medicineman  said about 7 years ago:

she is retiring after her next tour.... or so a friend of hers told me in me in New York in March...

filterfeed  said about 7 years ago:

really enjoyed seeing her live (supporting bob dylan) a few years ago. weird. but really good.

PelicanGodOfJupiter  said about 7 years ago:

I really regret missing her.

I saw her do a spoken word show @ Roskilde in 2001, but for some reason decided to stay at the bar drinking beer rather than go and see her full band performance the next day.

filterfeed  said about 7 years ago:

oh pelican.

has she toured here much? i enjoyed her more than dylan. good energy and all that. about 10 years ago now so memory hazy.

what else is on the covers album? only have her more obvious records.

PelicanGodOfJupiter  said about 7 years ago:

I don't think she's been here since that tour with Dylan.

I actually saw Bob Dylan at that same festival and found him really boring.

The tracklisting for 'Twelve' is:

1. Are You Experienced (Jimi Hendrix, 1967)
  2. Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Tears for Fears, 1985)
  3. Helpless (Neil Young (CSNY), 1970)
  4. Gimme Shelter (The Rolling Stones, 1969)
  5. Within You Without You (The Beatles, 1967)
  6. White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane, 1967)
  7. Changing Of The Guards (Bob Dylan, 1978)
  8. The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon, 1986)
  9. Soul Kitchen (The Doors, 1967)
  10. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana, 1991)
  11. Midnight Rider (Allman Brothers, 1970)
  12. Pastime Paradise (Stevie Wonder, 1976)

wipey  said about 7 years ago:

write to her about the Banning of smoking in pubs.

She'll appreciate it becuase people have the power

Nabila  said about 7 years ago:

I only like the early stuff, but to be honest I haven't given many of her later albums a chance.

Ubu  said about 7 years ago:

I really like that "Summer Cannibals" song, Tom Verlaine plays geetar y'know.

Nabila  said about 7 years ago:

He also plays on Hey Joe, Break It Up and Fireflies.

I don't like her much, but I know some of you guys do...enjoy.

caution- article appears to contain a reference to Rove McManus.

dandan  said about 7 years ago:

ppl always recommend horses to me, is it good?

littlearch  said about 7 years ago:

yes

dandan  said about 7 years ago:

mmmm its only cheap too i should buy it

sister  said about 7 years ago:

of course you should own it. everyone should. Horses is one of the best records ever.

esquared  said about 6 years ago:

she said in an interview early last year that she'd be here in december

where are you patti :(

russiancaravan  said about 6 years ago:

I am still kicking myself for not even trying to get a ticket to see her at the final show at CBGBs. I was in NY that week!

sister  said about 6 years ago:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Agl4IvNnQPo&feature=related

sorry not propertly linked.

Patti in 1979 on a kids show called Kids are People Too, taking questions from teenage girls and then singing You Light Up my Life with the song's composer.

beautiful

redlips  said about 6 years ago:

cough

I need to find out more about this lady...

cough

View Comments 20 to 141

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

luxury  said about 6 years ago:

amazing

luxury  said about 6 years ago:

amazing

Barman  said about 6 years ago:

You might like this then.

Ben  said about 6 years ago:

a couple of pics from the hamer hal gig..

juice_terry  said about 6 years ago:

Great pics ben.

I have Frederick cranked write now, its my favourite patti song today.

kcor  said about 4 years ago:

Which books do you all have? I'm wanting early poetry, generally. Am looking forward to getting Just Kids when it comes out too.

FrankieTeardrop  said about 4 years ago:

The Patti Smith movie 'Dream Of Life' is on Stvdio, foxtel's arts channel at 8.30 tonight Fri 14 May)! Don't miss it - it's really good.

fethehellcat  said about 4 years ago:

Is it good? Yay. I've been looking forward to seeing it.

FrankieTeardrop  said about 4 years ago:

It's great. The footage spans about ten years (the years after she went back to performing) and mixes concert footage snippets with travelogues, private moments, Patti at home etc. No talking heads or commentary, no chronological order. It's like a 2 hour long montage.

fethehellcat  said about 4 years ago:

Oooooooh.

filterfeed  said about 4 years ago:

i really want to see this. no foxtel hurts sometimes.

jeebee  said about 3 years ago:

I just finished reading Just Kids. It's such a fantastic and beautifully written book, all set in the late 60s early 70s New York, lots of detail about the Chelsea Hotel and trying to make it as a (literally) starving artist. And filled with lots of wonderful old poloroid photos of Patti and Robert Mapplethorpe. I loved reading this.

chimpassgimp666  said about 3 years ago:

I didn't dig it. I love Patti's music but I found this dull and uninsightful. Think I posted it somewhere else but I found the whole bohemian thing a little tedious and not really that dissimilar to stepping inside a shared house in Fitzroy some year ago...possibly even now. Uhmm yeah but that's that.

Ralph Malph  said about 3 years ago:

Just ordered my signed copy

The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductee's first career-spanning single CD collection, Outside Society, is a new collection of 18 signature songs remastered from all ten of Smith's studio albums. The chronologically arranged tracks move from her 1975 debut album, Horses (''Gloria,'' ''Free Money''), through her last release in 2007, Twelve (''Smells Like Teen Spirit''). Outside Society features brief recollections of each song, written by Patti, who personally supervised the song choices.

DaisyB  said about 2 years ago:

i have just kids out from the library and am contemplating making a start to read it, although i feel apprehensive....i think i'm going to dislike it. and having read what chimp says above i am now even more certain.

psymon  said about 2 years ago:

it's great - read it

monoceros  said about 2 years ago:

I get what Chimp is saying. I found the whole 'artists are special' tak a little tedious. Overall I thought the book trancended its faults. I really enjoyed it overall. Give it a go and stop reading if it doesn't agree with you.

Captain Oblivious  said about 2 years ago:

I think it suffered from what a lot of baby boomer memoirs can suffer from; a heightened sense of self-importance and achievement during formative years. And its funny how time can intensify this rather than level it out.

tugboat  said about 2 years ago:

Some random having a long rant about Patti Smith on her column titled
NEW MAKEUP MONDAY: LIP LINER! LIP LINER! POUTY TIME! EXCELLENT!

THE FUCK?

dzerzhanzhinskii  said about 6 months ago:

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.