View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Philip K Dick's Lamest Titles

Inactivist  said about 7 years ago  or at  3:46PM on Thursday, May 17 2007 in books

Confessions of a Crap Artist
The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike
Humpty Dumpty in Oakland
We Can Build You
The Unteleported Man
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Our Friends from Frolix 8
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
A Scanner Darkly
We Can Remember It for You Wholesale
The Indefatigable Frog
Mr. Spaceship
The Father-thing
A Present for Pat
Autofac
Foster, You're Dead!
Human Is
The Mold of Yancy
Psi-man Heal My Child!
Null-o
All We Marsmen
f There Were No Benny Cemoli
Oh, to be a Blobel!
The War with the Fnools
Your Appointment Will Be Yesterday
The Story To End All Stories
Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked
A Little Something For Us Tempunauts
The Exit Door Leads In
The Day Mr. Computer Fell Out of Its Tree
Fawn, Look Back
The Name of the Game is Death

Flat out, worst book titler ever. T

hey either give away the plot in the dumbest way possible or sound like children's books, and are all unbelievably clumsy and ghey. Serious, who let Philip K Dick title a short story, "Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked"?

BADALEX  said about 7 years ago:

Nah. I think it's fucking rad.

T J Honeysuckle  said about 7 years ago:

But some of them are great books, who cares what they are called? It's a few words on the front of a book containing thousands of others.

__v  said about 7 years ago:

is this a parody thread?

BADALEX  said about 7 years ago:

He was just ahead of his time. Look at all the stupid band names rocking around these days.

Simon_Sez  said about 7 years ago:

I like his titles.

I also like the word 'Wub'.

Inactivist  said about 7 years ago:

A title DEFINES a book. And if he's such a great writer, why does half his catalogue have execreble titles?

rosiefantail  said about 7 years ago:

He's carving out a particular kind of language for himself.

Some are worse than others. "The Name of the Game is Death" is probably the worst on this list.

Although I am bothered by the lack of gender agreement in "Mr Computer falls out of its tree".

september  said about 7 years ago:

oh god.

Kenny Burger  said about 7 years ago:

he should start threads on messandnoise instead.

...even.

paulie  said about 7 years ago:

dick's short stories

ChrisBrimstone  said about 7 years ago:

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said are brilliant titles

Simon_Sez  said about 7 years ago:

I thought 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' was a shit title until I read the book.

A lot of his stuff was crap, but the ones where he put his heart into it were amazing.

ChrisBrimstone  said about 7 years ago:

> Psi-man Heal My Child!

band name alert

BEYOND LIES THE WUB dammit

Godzilla  said about 7 years ago:

He did have a history of drugs

Ken Fucking Kunnington  said about 7 years ago:

they're all great. stop being a baby.

TopherPlus  said about 7 years ago:

He's the literary title equivalent to Anal Cunt.

Cobblers are dumb, btw

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

I agree with Badalex..ahead of his time.

View Comments 20 to 86

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

I haven't read Dr Bloodmoney yet. I think I'll tackle Ubik next.

BADALEX  said about 5 years ago:

The Divine Invasion is fairly fucking rad.

LockingPlier  said about 5 years ago:

You can kinda tell he wrote these very quickly, and without a definite idea in mind re: how the plot would finish.

That's 'cos he was a crazy speed freak.

djbollocks  said about 5 years ago:

Thanks tigers.

CaptainFez  said about 5 years ago:

We Can Remember It for You Wholesale

= RAD.

I picked up a Philip K. Dick reference in an episode of Babylon 5 last night.

Nerd out on that, cunts.

Ken Fucking Kunnington  said about 5 years ago:

what was the reference?

i'll check back on monday.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 5 years ago:

Is Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep any good? I got it for a few bucks the other day.

shaun  said about 5 years ago:

I haven't read that one yet but it's widely regarded as one of his best.

Ken Fucking Kunnington  said about 5 years ago:

Is Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep any good?

i didn't finish it. some people rave about it, though.

my favourites are ubik, cosmic puppets, flow my tears the policemen said, valis, radio free albemuth and confessions of a crap artist.

Yes, it is good.

happycow  said about 4 years ago:

Picked up ''We Can Build You'', ''Humpty Dumpty in Oakland'' and ''Radio Free Albemuth'' for $10 a piece at The Book Grocer on Sydney Rd over the weekend. Still had a few left.

Or order them here, free postage: http://bookgrocer.libro.com.au/book-search/search.do?authorName=&title=&isbn=philip+k+dick&all=philip+k+dick&keywords=&sort=&txtQuery=philip+k+dick

JJ  said about 4 years ago:

you can't beat * Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked *. You just can't beat that shit

happycow  said about 4 years ago:

I've read ''Cadbury, the Beaver Who Lacked''. It's in one of the short story compilations, it's pretty good. Poor old Cadbury, things just never go right for him. Mostly though, it's his own doing. I can relate to Cadbury.

Anyway, I really like the oddness of his titles.

happycow  said about 3 years ago:

Radio Free Albemuth trailer:

http://bit.ly/f1N6Er

Morris Iemma  said about 3 years ago:

Was 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' a Twilight Zone episode?

Jesus he is horrible at everything. I'm glad he's dead.

“…today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups—and the electronic hardware exists by which to deliver these pseudo-worlds right into the heads of the reader, the viewer, the listener. Sometimes when I watch my eleven-year-old daughter watch TV, I wonder what she is being taught. The problem of miscuing; consider that. A TV program produced for adults is viewed by a small child. Half of what is said and done in the TV drama is probably misunderstood by the child. Maybe it’s all misunderstood. And the thing is, Just how authentic is the information anyhow, even if the child correctly understood it? What is the relationship between the average TV situation comedy to reality? What about the cop shows? Cars are continually swerving out of control, crashing, and catching fire. The police are always good and they always win. Do not ignore that point: The police always win. What a lesson that is. You should not fight authority, and even if you do, you will lose. The message here is, Be passive. And—cooperate. If Officer Baretta asks you for information, give it to him, because Officer Beratta is a good man and to be trusted. He loves you, and you should love him.

So I ask, in my writing, What is real? Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo-realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. I do not distrust their motives; I distrust their power. They have a lot of it. And it is an astonishing power: that of creating whole universes, universes of the mind. I ought to know. I do the same thing. It is my job to create universes, as the basis of one novel after another. And I have to build them in such a way that they do not fall apart two days later. Or at least that is what my editors hope. However, I will reveal a secret to you: I like to build universes which do fall apart. I like to see them come unglued, and I like to see how the characters in the novels cope with this problem. I have a secret love of chaos. There should be more of it. Do not believe—and I am dead serious when I say this—do not assume that order and stability are always good, in a society or in a universe. The old, the ossified, must always give way to new life and the birth of new things. Before the new things can be born the old must perish. This is a dangerous realization, because it tells us that we must eventually part with much of what is familiar to us. And that hurts. But that is part of the script of life. Unless we can psychologically accommodate change, we ourselves begin to die, inwardly. What I am saying is that objects, customs, habits, and ways of life must perish so that the authentic human being can live. And it is the authentic human being who matters most, the viable, elastic organism which can bounce back, absorb, and deal with the new.”

• Philip K. Dick

JJ  said about 3 years ago:

Great article - HILOBROW: PHILIP K. DICK

I didn't get all the way through it yet, but that is a great biography. So much weird and amazing information that I didn't know about the man.

''In 1976 Dick’s fifth wife left him and he attempted suicide again, washing heart pills, high blood pressure pills, and antidepressants down with a bottle of wine, slashing his wrists, and locking himself into the garage with the car running. Somehow, he survived.''

That just really blew my mind. Such manic, over the top dedication to ending his own life that it's almost comic if it weren't so tragic. And yet he still fails and winds up back in the shit hole of life to slog it out some more. A lot like his characters.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.