View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Big Love

juicenewton*  said about 7 years ago  or at  2:59PM on Friday, May 18 2007 in television

Righto- my HBO addiction has not yet reached this show, but it's starting sbs soon so I'll probably watch it there.

Anyone seen it?

fethehellcat  said about 7 years ago:

nut

elaine  said about 7 years ago:

Is this the show they're advertising like crazy on SBS?

sharptooth  said about 7 years ago:

is that the one about polygamy.. or at least. it's got it in it?

aquatic  said about 7 years ago:

HBO can always guarantee quality..

whats the idea: one guy with three different wives? hmmm sounds odd

fashionhayley  said about 7 years ago:

it has chloe sevigny in it. I watched a few episodes of the 1st series, but to me it wasnt believable. They are to wealthy to be polygamist and the husband is a bad actor.

They own 3 houses, he has a big furniture store....I always thought polygamist's lived in trailor parks and didnt have no schooling.

how dare you say bill pullman's a bad actor!

juicenewton*  said about 7 years ago:

Bill Pullman is the reason I'm interested.

HA HA

Well he just doesnt seem right to me. Watch it and see.

Its actually Bill Paxton

and yes he is really really bad

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

wikipedia explains the shows concept better then the sbs ads

could be interesting, hbo's usually qualilty these days, could be too drama-ish for my liking though.

Bill Paxton? then whos Bill Pullman?

from what i can gather from the site, the first few episodes at least are all about juggling money and the pressures that having 3 wives comes with

bill paxton

bill pullman

bill PAXTON is on top there, pullman underneath

i get 'em mixed up all the time. Bill Pullmand is the one in the David Lynch movies-. Bill Paxton is the more hollywood one eg: in twister and apollo 13.

PunchDrunk  said about 7 years ago:

This was just on - I quite liked it. Didn't realize how many notable actors the cast had - Bill Paxton, Chloë Sevigny, Tina Majorino etc.

I almost wanted it to be as dark/black as Six Feet Under, but it was still pretty good.

How long has it been going for in the states?

Reverb  said about 7 years ago:

Bill Pullman.... the president in Independance day?

Yeah Bill Pullman was in Independance Day... Bill Paxton is in this.

mud  said about 7 years ago:

one season so far in the states, but season two starts in a week or so.

Tigre  said about 7 years ago:

I watched the first episode tonight. I liked it.

elaine  said about 7 years ago:

I watched half of this and was so bored I turned it off...

lordsnot  said about 7 years ago:

yeah it didn't really grab me either... something just, kinda missing. had all the pedigree but something didn't work for me.

sister  said about 7 years ago:

i liked it a lot.

liked the dark stuff with the other families back in the compound. getting heavied by the Prophet - HARRY DEAN STANTON no less - over the returns from the stores.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 7 years ago:

the thing about the Borgias and pope alxander's mistress before it was way more entertaining, even with bad german actors.

can i just ask, does it niggle at anyone else as much as me that actors always stay clothed in sex scenes in american tv drama? even in sex and the city, where they were happy to swear their boxes off, and yet every sex scene (except the flops) ended with dramatic feigning-exhaustion flopping on the bed. wearing a teddy or something.

shineslikerubies  said about 7 years ago:

i wanted to see this, and plum forgot. they advertised it for so long, i stopped believing it was actually going to be on tv.

I'm not so savvy in Mormon culture - what did the Rhonda kid mean by she's 'Married to the Prophet'?

the Prophet is the head honcho - Nicky's dad - who is played by Harry Dean.

She is 14 and has just been married to the old man.

mmmm - I musta missed the bit about Nikki's dad being Harry Dean Stanton.I loved how the 15 year old was married off to him and thought she was so richeous because of it.

righteous?

i dunno about righeousness. More imperious i thought.

that may be the better word - but don't start getting all modi on me sister.

AlterEgo  said about 7 years ago:

finished watching season 1 last night. i still can't decide if i like this show or not. i think since i watched the whole first season i'd have to go with like, but the whole concept of polygamy is bizarre! i find myself thinking throughout it ''what a bunch of wacko's''. some of it is quite funny, its got a few LOLs going on, and i don't LOL very much to anything even when i find it pretty funny. going to start season 2 tomorrow.

tadatadatada  said about 7 years ago:

i like it. i'm just downloading the couple of episodes i missed. its one of those shows which i can enter completely into, like a consuming book, and not be continually jolted back into reality by crap acting and writing. it has an interesting mix of typical american values which it contrasts with the pure creepiness of the polygamous and in particular the compound culture. that episode when the prophet and his wives are in the 4WD singing hymns, is one of the creepiest things ive seen on television.

socks  said about 7 years ago:

I enjoyed it! I found it really easy to get over the novelty/unusual factor of polygamy and to just sink into the storylines and stuff. I'll definitely be tuning in to season two.

AlterEgo  said about 7 years ago:

it has an interesting mix of typical american values which it contrasts with the pure creepiness of the polygamous and in particular the compound culture.

that was exactly what i was trying to say. you start going ''hmm they're not that weird'' and then the next second you think ''aahhh! they're all crazy weird cult people!''

lowercase  said about 7 years ago:

Almost finished season 2 (in line with the US).

Things have definitely changed in this season - bit more soapy.
Still better than most things on tv, but it is already in its decline i think.

whatwhat  said about 5 years ago:

season 3 of this was sensational. only just got around to watching it. twas brill.

trafficsounds  said about 3 years ago:

from Cynopsis: HBO's announced its drama series Big Love will be back for a fifth season on January 16 -- but more importantly perhaps, that this will be it's final season. The series is produced by HBO Entertainment in association with Playtone and Anima Sola Productions.

penny lame  said about 3 years ago:

noooooo!

whatwhat  said about 3 years ago:

Good call I reckon. Last series was pretty ridiculous. Good fun but.

bench  said about 3 years ago:

so true whatwhat. it definitely peaked at season 3, and then lost the plot with the whole political saga. kind of like the third season of the wire when they focussed on that little shit carcetti and the mayor's office. meh.

BlackCatWhiteCat  said about 3 years ago:

i liked last season. Nicky really came into her own and Alby was pretty funny

i also liked the Carcetti saga

whatwhat  said about 3 years ago:

carcetti was genius. the final season of the wire with the journo and mcnulty making shit up was heaps weaker.

big love season 4 was more preposterous than the previous seasons, and way more camp i thought. good fun, but didn't have the weight of the previous 3 seasons.

Godzilla  said about 3 years ago:

I'd never heard of Chloe Sevigny's pre-big love movie Brown Bunny and it's** totally NSFW** final scene until this recent interview. It's going to make it harder for me to believe her straight-laced mormon wife role in the next series.

On her oral sex scene with Vincent Gallo in The Brown Bunny: ''What's happened with that is all very complicated. There are a lot of emotions. I'll probably have to go to therapy at some point. But I love Vincent. The film is tragic and beautiful, and I'm proud of it and my performance. I'm sad that people think one way of the movie, but what can you do? I've done many explicit sex scenes, but I'm not that interested in doing any more. I'm more self-aware now and wouldn't be able to be as free, so why even do it?''

Here is the scene in question

Interview link is totally safe, the video definitely not.

fudge  said about 3 years ago:

I went and saw that abomination of a film at the underground film festival years ago. It was so fucking tedious and self-indulgent that I feel asleep many times and just because we'd blown a reefer but also because 20 mins of watching a car drive around in circles was just pure shit. Fuck Vincent Gallo. Cunt.

fudge  said about 3 years ago:

I do however, adore Big Love and Chloe is a goddess.

jeebee  said about 3 years ago:

aw, it's over for ever! (don't worry, not giving spoilers)

hungryhungryhippo  said about 2 years ago:

Tesco in South Korea has just rebranded as Home Plus.

hungryhungryhippo  said about 2 years ago:

Season 4 was ridiculous. Was the writers strike on when it was written? Just awful, although the Lois machete incident was amusing.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.