View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Lily Allen is in the anti-piracy camp

untold/animals  said about 5 years ago  or at  2:56PM on Monday, September 21 2009 in industry

http://idontwanttochangetheworld.blogspot.com/

Interesting. Looks like my favourite bratty Brit has a mind to campaign the government for tighter penalties and restrictions on pirated material. Sigh.

coolestjerk  said about 5 years ago:

tinyman  said about 5 years ago:

priacy is wrong. all those luxury ocean liners just wanna skirt around the east coast of Africa, minding their own multi-billion dollar business. then these somali pirates come along and ruin everything. it's good to have one of their much revered idols speak out against crimes on the high seas.

untold/animals  said about 5 years ago:

Hilarious twist, y'all. Lily Allen caught copy/pasting entire blog post from Tech Dirt without credit or attribution - people freak out and start insulting her in the comments, then she deletes it. Internet skills!

____  said about 5 years ago:

Lily says about piracy advocates

he seems to only be thinking of how piracy effects him. What about the guys that work in the studio and the kids that run around town putting his posters up,the people that designed his artwork, the people that run his website. Is he giving them a cut of his live fee?

Um, they don't get a cut of royalties, you and your label do. Money you earn from these live fees can't be pirated.

Godzilla  said about 5 years ago:

from http://torrentfreak.com/lily-allen-pirates-music-is-clueless-about-copyright-090923/

Also, this is not the only infringement on her blog. While she’s trying to point out how much damage ‘pirates’ do to the music industry she blatantly infringed the copyrights of a number of newspapers by posting scanned articles.

To make things even more absurd Techdirt discovered that Lily is pirating music herself by offering some unauthorized mixtapes (tape 1 and tape 2) on her website LilyAllenMusic.com. The tracklist of one of the mixtapes reveals a list of no less than 19 unauthorized tracks. This means the RIAA can easily sue her for millions.

black wasp!  said about 5 years ago:

I don't know why, but I expected more from her. Testimonial after testimonial on her blog sees middling musicians whining about how their chart position and available funds are affected by piracy. Well, uh, don't you think everybody on the charts is having their music downloaded?

black wasp!  said about 5 years ago:

50 CENT POST
I THINK ITS QUITE OVIOUS THAT I WASNT TRYING TO PASS OF THOSE WORDS AS MY OWN , HERE IS A LINK TO THE WEBSIITE I ACQUIRED THE PIECE FROM . Apologies to Michael Masnick

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090914/0348436181.shtml

lol

poofpoof  said about 5 years ago:

Modi  said about 5 years ago:

Is the anti-piracy camp actually the Ninja camp?

anok  said about 5 years ago:

i used to think you were cool, lily allen.

I never thought she was cool. But as she claims to have got famous via the interwebs, it's only fitting that it should destroy her.

Tim_Marben  said about 5 years ago:

pc  said about 5 years ago:

Everything on the idontwanttochangetheworld blog has been deleted now

Block  said about 5 years ago:

Oh dear.
If I was capable of feeling any sympathy for this dumb tart, it'd probably be kicking in about now.

raven  said about 5 years ago:

It's an interesting article, anorak, but the big ad for manufacturing Twitter followers at the top kinda makes it hard for me to take it 100% seriously.
The Lily fans popping up in the comments do have no idea, though.

raven  said about 5 years ago:

Everything on the idontwanttochangetheworld blog has been deleted now

But it's in Google cache and people will have taken snapshots.

And black wasp! got it so right I just want to quote him here:

Testimonial after testimonial on her blog sees middling musicians whining about how their chart position and available funds are affected by piracy. Well, uh, don't you think everybody on the charts is having their music downloaded?

the power of 666  said about 5 years ago:

Very funny letter to Lily

Can't read it coz they're all using those stupid old photo face replace things. fuck those dudes

shaun  said about 5 years ago:

She told Bob lefsetz that she'll be siccing her lawyers onto him.

anok  said about 5 years ago:

bob lezfest?

andyr  said about 5 years ago:

this is the story that keeps giving.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 5 years ago:

That letter is a classic Marben.

maybe there will be less dickhead popularity whores like yourself flouncing around the stage at Glastonbury next year.

That ''letter'' she ''wrote'' is pretty interesting, but it just seems to be stating facts, not coming up with any reasonable position. It is difficult for musicians to make money, but I'm not going to cry over multinationals losing money.

poofpoof  said about 5 years ago:

There's always the possibility no one liked her music enough to buy it. Just because a record label backed her with millions of pounds in debt, doesn't mean anyone was going to buy it even before file sharing hit the scene.

I for one have not downloaded her music, nor would I buy it.

theparisend  said about 5 years ago:

i don't think i like her music enough to pay for it

and i hear it everywhere without having to pay a cent anyway

Wah Wah Wah. Her boyfriend doesn't make her come, people steal her music, her dad was only a little bit famous.

Someone shut this woman up, please?

theparisend  said about 5 years ago:

or get her a nice valium?

Just take her computer off her fer fuck's sake.

Tramdriver  said about 5 years ago:

Her blog got taken down apparently so it seems modi got his wish.

intruder  said about 5 years ago:

Prehistoric record labels are rightly getting just deserts after years of raping their artists’ (read employees’) talent. The independent artist is now thriving thanks to the internet and long may it continue. Perhaps Lily’s real fear is for the future of multinational companies with the power to create superstars out of their CEO’s best mate’s daughters.

I like this bit.

giuseppeflr  said about 5 years ago:

When Techdirt started raising serious questions she refused to answer. Funny thing is they found out she was illegally sharing music to promote herself (2 mp3 mixtapes stuffed with jay-z, jefferson's airplane and her demos).
A few hours after those posts, she decided to quit music, and nothing valuable was lost.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.