View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

real estate agents

cloudpleaser  said about 8 years ago  or at  3:00PM on Thursday, July 6 2006 in chat

fucking grade A arseholes
i swear to god, every single one of them

CrakTheBarbarian  said about 8 years ago:

agreed

brokenbrastraps  said about 8 years ago:

There is but ONE good real estate agent I know. She is evil though.

CrakTheBarbarian  said about 8 years ago:

oh yeah...forgot about her...i retract.

brokenbrastraps  said about 8 years ago:

Good job Crak.

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 8 years ago:

fuck... speaking of which, anon i forgot. again.
tomorrow.

anonymous  said about 8 years ago:

no probs, nother day won't mean much.

LoadMyRig  said about 8 years ago:

paging coz....

djbollocks  said about 8 years ago:

i despise landlords far more than RE agents.

littlearch  said about 8 years ago:

i love our veryvery own rea even though i don't see enough of her

humanityisthedevil  said about 8 years ago:

real estate agents and landlords

such a tough call.

destroy both.

PumpUpTheHam  said about 8 years ago:

someday i might get a 'free market appraisal' just so I can eat REA flesh

hillsonghoods  said about 8 years ago:

argh.

we got a phone call from our real estate agents demanding a week's rent extra for bond. we have been in this house for a year, almost. on the tenancy agreement it says that we were to pay 4 weeks rent. we assumed they wanted 3 weeks rent for the bond and 1 week rent in advance. on the bond lodgement form it has 3 weeks rent on it.

now they want extra moneys. can they act inthis low and dastardly way and get away with it? i kind of figure that if they wanted more money, when we signed the tenancy agreement was the time to tell us.

any hints or tips about this?

kuroneko  said about 8 years ago:

I've never heard of a bond that wasn't equivalent to four weeks rent. Sorry dude.

michael_horse  said about 8 years ago:

yeah, ditto

generally you pay 1 months bond, and 1 months rent, not 3 weeks bond 1 weeks rent

in any case, it was a year ago, and i can't remember what the deal was. in any case, the agreement was signed after money was handed over (so whatever money was paid then was obviously fine as far as they were concerned then), i don't recall thinking there was any funny business at the time, and i'm sure they're trying to shaft us.

have you got a signed lease? Your copy of the bond lodgement form?

yeah, the signed lease says that 4 weeks rent was to be paid before the signing of the agreement, and the bond lodgement form has 3 weeks rent on it.

does your lease agreement have anything about bond on there? If it does and it states that the equicalent to four weeks rent to be paid as bond, and it's signed then they really stuffed up by only accepting the equivalent of three weeks' rent, but I don't know if they're legally able to claim that extra week.

by the way, it sounds like someone in the RE agents office wasn't paying attention.

michael_horse  said about 8 years ago:

but won't the money just be going to the bond agency anyway ?
and won't it just be 1 weeks rent ?

why not just pay it ?

View Comments 20 to 579

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Lilo  said about 2 years ago:

I got an email and a text last week from my old real estate agents to let me know they were going to be inspecting the flat soon. Thanks for the warning, guys, but you actually kicked me out 6 months ago, remember?

Davel  said about 2 years ago:

Once at a job network my case manager suggested I do a course to become a real estate agent. I said I'd rather poke my eyes out with a stick.

mushymouth  said about 2 years ago:

Our (former) property manager is quibbling the dust on the fan in the bathroom. The bathroom that is getting renovated now that we're gone. God, the rage.

cnut  said about 2 years ago:

what a cunt

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/139150/default.aspx

AT THE age of 64, and with a 40-year career in football under his belt, Denis Pagan could now be enjoying a relaxed retirement.

But putting his feet up is not something that appeals to the two-time North Melbourne premiership coach.

Instead, Pagan has jumped into a new vocation: working as a real estate agent in Melbourne's northern suburbs with his son, Ryan.

redeyerobbie  said about 2 years ago:

This is more landlord the rea but, recently got notice to vacate so a family member could move in, yesterday saw a for lease sign out the front (private not through agent that handled our tenancy). Spoke to consumer affairs and they said take it to vcat to claim compensation. Worth it?

anonymous  said about 2 years ago:

do you have it in writing that it was for a family member? (email or something)

redeyerobbie  said about 2 years ago:

Yes it was stated on the notice to vacate.

woolfat  said about 1 year ago:

anyone got any advice on how to handle the topic of breaking a lease when you're actively applying for a new place to live in the mean time?

For example: my partner & I are breaking our lease due to a huge change in our circumstances beyond our control (downstairs tenants are making our life a misery). We have plenty of grounds to break our lease and I know I can get a replacement tenant easily, so it's not going to be an issue.

However, we haven't given notice yet as we are still putting our feelers out, so to speak. There's a place I'm super keen on this weekend and I'm in the process of writing up a cover letter. Obviously they'll ask for our rental history - I have an unblemished rental track record except for this lease break, which the current REA doesn't yet know about.
Is this kind of thing likely to be an issue? And is it worth coming clean in my cover letter about WHY we are breaking our lease - or best not to mention it at all?

sonian  said about 1 year ago:

oooh, tricky. My inclination would be to run through the situation with your current agent now so they're up to speed. As you said, the situation has changed and it won't take long to find new tenants, so they don't have much of a reason to be annoyed. Then you can be as upfront on the cover letter as possible - say why you're breaking the lease but that you have the support of your current agent.

Yeah, we are in a good position to break a lease in the sense that if they want to take us to VCAT they'll also have to own up to the fact that they've not been paying rates on our apartment (only the commercial property downstairs which is on an entirely different lease), so I doubt they'll kick up a stink about it. Furthermore, we're still owed $1700 from their previous tenant who ran off with our cash, so really I don't see how they're in a position to make our lives difficult.

I'm still nervous about telling our current REA however, in the case that they give us a 14 day to vacate notice - then we're really screwed. At the moment we feel comfortable knowing that instead of rushing and accepting the first place we get approved for, we can be picky and take our time.

Northside  said about 1 year ago:

I broke a lease two weeks ago and they already have a new tenant for when I move into my place in two weeks time. We just had to pay 350 dollars for the advertising costs. Definitely worth taking your time and setting up a new place first, maybe wait till January when the rental market fires up and it should be fairly smoothe. I'd advise against giving your REA agent notice as they are all pricks every last one of them I tells ya.

Northside - I'm going to offer to find them a tenant so I don't have to pay advertising costs. It won't be hard and I even think we might be able to increase the rental price on our apartment and still find someone (it's a bit of a steal as it is!).

We have a pretty long list of places that we like already (I feel like now is a good time as no-one wants to move around Christmas time, and the market isn't inundated with students looking for sharehouses yet either). I guess my issue is just whether or not I come clean with the new REA about our current lease break, because our old REA doesn't yet know.

Northside  said about 1 year ago:

Ah I see. That's a tough one, I'm not sure how thorough the checks they do are so you may be able to get a place without declaring the lease break. Anyway good luck.

thanks pal! I felt really bummed about leaving my current apartment as I have really loved living there, but I'm excited to start afresh.

rendit  said about 1 year ago:

in the case that they give us a 14 day to vacate notice - then we're really screwed.

Why would they do this? Why would the landlord agree to this? This won't happen as long as you keep paying the rent. If you do break the lease then it is your job to find a new tenant and the agent has to do sweet FA which is exactly what they want. If the agent does give you notice to vacate then it becomes their job to find a new tenant, so why the hell would they do that?

I have never broken a lease before, so I'm trying to work things out. I don't know whether you've noticed, but generally Real Estate agents like to make things difficult for you and easy for them, so I feel like I've got reason for concern.

thanks. I had read that, it's more a delicate juggling act at the moment. I'm currently writing an email to our REA letting them know we'll be vacating by end of Jan.

hungryhungryhippo  said about 1 year ago:

If you are in victoria, consumer affairs have launched a phone app called rent right. Suggest it could be useful when dealing with this scum.

outerspacextrapnel  said 6 days ago:

I just thought I'd add another voice. Real estate agents are fucking middlemen thieves trying to dress themselves up as people with real power. The sooner they get swept away by some libertarian uber / paypal / ebay type technology the better. I will not regret seeing them disappear.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.